Loss of Both Headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving down the road in my totally rust-free '92 in the dark, both headlights (dims & brights) suddenly go out, along with the dash lights. I still have blinkers, horn, most other stuff. So I limp home with the emergency flashers lighting the way.
Headlight fuses are good. Replaced the headlight relay for hopes. No dice.
The fusible link looks rigged and shady (I recently bought this rig), so I replaced it. Still nothing.
Replaced stalk (I'm parting out my rusty 91, so I have one laying around). Still nothing. So that leaves grounds and wires I think.
So now I'm chasing voltages. I've got 12 at the relay. With it in and the lights on, I have 12V at the fuse.
So next I'm going to check the voltage at the bulbs. I expect 12V there. If so, where do I check under the dash/in the kick panel?

Oh, another helpful hint. This had an invasive alarm system octopused into the factory harnesses under dash and in the kick plate wiring.
Kick panel and fender ground points are good and tight, no corrosion.
---
But plot thickens a few hours later. All 4 bulbs are blown. But I still don't have dash lights. So I would like to not throw away 4 more bulbs and a rather tedious process of getting them out and in again. When I have had voltage regulator failure peg the voltage, the dash & headlights would get bright and the meter responded. This was at night, so maybe the dash lights didn't let me see the meter? Maybe all the dash lights are fried? Just doesn't seem likely. This is my daily winter rig, so would really appreciate help.

Last edited:
Since you lost both headlights AND dash lights at the same time, I would be inclined to look for the headlight SWITCH since it would appear as though it was turned off.

Also check the headlight relay. I wouldn't think that would kill the dash lights as well.

Did something simply come unplugged under the dash or in the kick panel after messing with removing the alarm stuff?

My first thought was the fusible link, but you replaced those and had no fix.

You don't have a Slee headlight harness tapped in for HID or special headlights right?

Sounds like something caused a huge spike. If all the headlights blew, then perhaps the dash bulbs did too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom