Looking to Buy an FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering buying an FJ Cruiser as a daily driver.
Looked at so me reviews on the site and lots of ++ other than the blind spots and cheap plastics.

How would you rate the comfort level of the FJ Cruiser compared to FJ 80? Have a long commute to work.
What are drawbacks to be aware of ?

Heared some issues about diffs weaknesses ( the 8" not being cyoed) altough i run 8" Toy diffs in my Rover with 36" IROKS....

Please advise

Jay

We are die hard FJ fans but for a daily driver, the 80 is a better all around choice from our opinion. Comfort, visibility, doors, opening windows are all things that would make us go back to a 80 if we had to drive it daily. An FJ can and will work but the 80 is just better equiped with creature comforts in a long daily drive. The rear end issue is not a big issue in the FJ world overall and would not make that sway you aganist the FJ. If you do have an issue, Toyota fixes them when they break. Also the better aerodynamics on a long commute can probably get you a gallon or two more on the 80 than the FJ. Our FJ just hit 10,000 miles in 2 1/2 years and we generally drive it to off road locations and off road.

If you're looking for a daily driver that you can take out on the trails than the FJC is a good choice. IFS gives it good handling and ride on the street and provides enough articulation to go out on the trails even in stock format... Although a 3" suspension lift & 33" really lets you get onto the more difficult stuff. I use my FJC as a daily driver as well as taking it on 4x4 trails and overland expeditions. The comfort is really nice weather you're commuting or putting 500 miles a day on gravel and washboard back roads.

As for the blind spots, if your mirrors are adjusted right you don't really have a blind spot but you do need to use the mirrors to check rather than turning your head. The plastic is kind of a personal choice... and can't really help you there.

Good luck getting a rig that is right for you.

Thanks a lot.

I like more rugged trucks.....I guess i ll for a test drive for the FJ.
Its price brand new here in Saudi is resonable compared to what you get with it.

Are the electronics control in it causing any issues ?
Has the 2009 version improved the ring and pinion failures ?

Altough this a pure Toy forum how would you rate comfort level of the FJ compared to Wrangler TJ and JK 2 doors ( stock to stock) ?

The electronics are rock solid. The new FJ's have many upgrades that make the vehicle better than the old. We had to jump the terminal blocks to enable / disable feature that new ones have standard.
Also I have not heard any issues with ring and pinion outside the early 07's except maybe user abuse. Remember that this is almost 4500 pounds stock and if you load it up like I do (expedition style), you can really stress some stock components. So you have to think what conditions your going to subject your FJ and update as needed. The great thing is there are so many vendors supporting this platform.
I like the new 4 door style Jeep but in the end, you can't touch how the Toyota compares when you get it on the highway and city. The Jeep is still a touch better in pure offroad ( IFS vs. solid axle) out of the box, but most of us spend 10 % to 20% of our total miles on pure offroad.

The comfort level when comparing the FJ and the Jeep is no contest. Jeep uses a hard foam for all of their seats that gets uncomfortable when driving long distances. The FJ is IFS as mentioned previously which makes for a smoother ride both on and off road. Most Baja rigs are long travel IFS, and the solid axle rigs are mostly for heavy 4x4 duty I.E. high flex situations such as rock crawling or really rocky trails. You would be seriously suprised at what the FJ can do with its IFS. I hope this helps

18 months 65500 miles about 1500 of those off road I wouldn't say it is the best at anything but very good at everything. I've even towed my '84 CJ 7 on a 18' trailer with it (yes I have a brake controller and no I wouldn't cross the country that way)

BigjellowFJ We all would love to be able to buy an 80 but they haven't made them in 12 years.

18 months 65500 miles about 1500 of those off road I wouldn't say it is the best at anything but very good at everything. I've even towed my '84 CJ 7 on a 18' trailer with it (yes I have a brake controller and no I wouldn't cross the country that way)

BigjellowFJ We all would love to be able to buy an 80 but they haven't made them in 12 years.

Thanks a lot. Guess i ll be going to the dealership soon here in Saudi where I just moved. My Jeep is great on the dunes but not breaks my those long commutes.

Has anyone tried the FJ in loose sand ?

Regarding the 80 i meant to buy it used as there s a lot of Toyota's here in the used market....

Thanks

Jay

BigjellowFJ We all would love to be able to buy an 80 but they haven't made them in 12 years.[/quote]

Niner,

Yes I know its been awhile since the 80's and the 40's, but they are out there, but maybe not in Saudi land. Great thing about Yotas are they keep on running and they keep getting rebuilt. Great parts support in general also.

How would you rate the comfort level of the FJ Cruiser compared to FJ 80? Have a long commute to work.

I have owned both, and they are both excellent trucks. If comfort is your primary criteria then the FJ Cruiser wins hands down; IFS, way more head room and room in general (in the front seats), WAY better brakes, much more powerful, way better fuel economy (in stock trim).

If I was building an expedition rig or a SHTF survival vehicle I would rather have the 80, but for the purposes you state I would much rather have the FJC.

I have an Hour dirve back and forth to work each day, and I don't have a problem with it. I got 55K on it now and still love it. I had a Tacoma before the FJ and you could see better out of it, but the FJ is easier to park, just harder to back up with not much of a view. I do like the arm rests though. Its also just cool to drive.

Guys i did buy the FJ 2 months ago here in Saudi. Got is black with the rear lockers, 6 CD player and rear view camera.
All the options come with it when you got for the FJ 2.

I really in love with it. So comfy on my long commutes and in Saudi bad interstates.
I am tempted to lift it but trying to stay away after shellin so muh $$ on previous trucks plus want to keep it comfy.
Maybe i ll the locker hack to be able to use the locker in sand.

Thanks a lot guys. Your advise to go for the FJ was right on !

Jay

Jay;
Enjoy the FJC! My Voodoo Blue 2007 still rocks 30K into the journey.....20 mpg in stock trim. I put the Baja rack on and really like it! Had an 80, enjoyed it, but just HAD TO HAVE an FJC. It's working out OK as I just bought a 1978 FJ40 for fun.....
Keep us posted on how you like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom