Looking to buy a Fj cruiser. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering the common problems?

Deep water?
Mud?
Climbing?
Everyday use?

I've been reading people who have been through some deep water and having to buy new transmissons?
if this is true can anyone tell me the
goods and bads about owning one right now i have a fj40.

Not sure how to reply, if this is a serious question or not. The questions are too vague and without context as to your needs/plans/etc. I'd have to ask:

Are you looking to buy new or used?
What are your plans for using it?
Will it be your Daily Driver?

Regarding those who may have driven through deep water, filling their tranny with water and having to buy a new one, seems to make sense to me. Is this a "common" problem? No.

I owned mine from 4/06 to 9/11, loved it from day one...

My bad people.
Its going to be my daily driver i go offroad sometimes nothing major just hills rain and mud. I do cross a few creeks. Looking to buy a used one under 60,000 miles i was in between the rubicon or the fj. Right now i have a fj40 and it does what i want to so except hwy speeds..

Majority of the stuff i do is
Trail riding i hate mud, but sometimes its unavoidable.
Whats the difference in the fj models i see people saying TT what is that?
If its different what's different about it..

My bad people.
Its going to be my daily driver i go offroad sometimes nothing major just hills rain and mud. I do cross a few creeks. Looking to buy a used one under 60,000 miles i was in between the rubicon or the fj. Right now i have a fj40 and it does what i want to so except hwy speeds..

Majority of the stuff i do is
Trail riding i hate mud, but sometimes its unavoidable.
Whats the difference in the fj models i see people saying TT what is that?
If its different what's different about it..

No worries, just helps provide help...

TT = Trail Team edition = $$$ for badging. Some believe extra value as being "collectable" some day

D O N O T S E L L T H E F J 4 0 !!!!!!!!!!!

Basics in short form..."vintage" FJC's had issues with the rear R&P gears (vintage = 11/07), since it has shown to be vulnerable when locked and more susceptable to breakage once one gets into tires above 33". There have been front fender "bulging" issues, can't detail why some have issues and others haven't. Be sure to buy one with OEM e-locker so that wiring/ECU for ATRAC is pre-installed, $50-60 switch gives that valuable tool if not previously installed.

As a DD, if one doesn't want to make a significant impact on MPG, I'd not lift it, stick with 265 tires, put a nice set of Budbuilt sliders on it and away you'll go. I had the luxury to drive the Rubicon trail with a few members of the Toyota Trail Team, which they did on stock rigs w/285's, Budbuilt skids, ARB bumper/Warn M8k winch and a hockey puck lift up front.

Why throw that in, because, as a stock rig, with factory e-locker, ATRAC, little rocker protection (I'd also throw some Budbuilt skids also just cause I can't drive), decent tires (I'd go with KM2's in 255/85/16), you'll be able to go most anywhere you want to.

Yes, I'd do the "scuba" mod, moving all the axle/transfer case/tranny breathers into the engine compartment just for safe keeping. Thats the problem with the FJC, one modification leads to another, then another, then another...

Hope this helps...:beer:

Interested in a 3inch lift.. and yes im selling the fj40 to impractical cant go 70mph really tired of puttinf money in it and i work in law enforcement and everyone knows my salary sucks lol

haven't had the opportunity to do much off-road with my wife's 2012 yet, but as a daily driver it is excellent. Excellent handling but only moderate mileage and too small a gas tank. visibility isn't as bad as the reputation it has for that. If no one rides in back, remove rear headrests. lots of wind turbulence with window open at highway speeds and no rear ventilation to modify the turbulence. it needs a dashboard backlight. What little off roading i've done, it is excellent. the above said sounds negative but one only needs to drive one a few days and he will forgive the design flaws as it is such a sweet handling rig. My wife prefers to drive it over her SC430. It convinced me it was time to sell my '99 Land Cruiser and I haven't looked back.

Last edited:
Yea sounds good just i do go offroading some and need something reliable i know my brothers rubicon went had no problems..

Adding vent visors ($40) will cancel the wind buffeting when the windows are open. Adjust side mirrors properly (to view lanes beside you - not behind you) and rear visibility is not an issue. The massive A-pillars and gargantuan side mirrors block more dangerous obstacles in front of you than anything behind you. This rig handles pretty well in stock form, but lifting it with a decent suspension (coilover) kit will improve handling and give you a bit more clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom