Looking for rear bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thereligionofpeace.com
Hey all. My 98 4runner (4x4) just got rear ended. Busted up the factory bumper and did quite a bit of damage to the tailgate. I'd love to take advantage of the situation and but something really beefy on there instead of the crappy stock replacement bumper. I've done some searches already but thought I'd see who you guys knew of.

Thanks!

I'm considering a rear bumper for my Tacoma sold by Front Range Offroad out of colorado. Pretty beefy,
not sure if it would work on a 4Runner though.

Not an answer to your question but, after my incident with my trucks front bumper, I took the insurance $$ and bought my ARB in lieu of the stock plastic OEM bumper and still had $$ left over!

Good luck!

I wish ARB made a rear bumper for my Tacoma, I'd buy it in a minute.

OR you can take the INSURANCE monies, buy a welder, helmet, gloves, steel and build your own...:D

Armorology : He won't ship, but the design is perfect IMO.

And I've seen a few guys running rockware bumpers.

I think it's just absolutely crazy that out of the 5 or so places that even make 3rd Gen 4Runner rear bumpers, only one of them will ship. And even if you just so happen to live nearby one of the places that makes them and can just drive on over, they expect you to leave your truck there while they make it? :confused: And ever talked to SS about theirs?--he says they have to custom make every single bumper cause every 4runner is too different? and he refuses to make them with a tire carrier because the once or twice they did make them, it was a total disaster...what does that even mean? :confused: That just doesn't make sense to me. How can all these other offroad/fab shops make swingout tire carriers for their rear bumpers? Don't get me wrong, SS makes some nice stuff and I've got a bit of it on my Runner, but I just don't understand what their deal is with the rear bumpers (and a few other things).

Dunno much about all the other shops, but in my mind, if they advertise that they make the bumper for such-and-such a vehicle, they should be able to ship. Otherwise, they should just advertise that they are a custom fab shop that can make custom rear bumpers for any vehicle you bring on by.

That being said, I was just about to commit to an Irbis bumper just for the fact that they ship them-- it was a total bonus that they just so happen to build rock solid stuff--but then I found a local guy that would make me a custom one and do it for dirt cheap. My cost was about half what Irbis costs. It didn't turn out completely perfect but I believe that that was my fault as I rushed the guy to get it done in about a week so I could have it in time for this past Cruise Moab. But its solid enough for my style of wheeling and looks good from about 5 feet away.--get up close and you can see its not perfect. The guy said he'd love to make more of them though he'd need to charge a wee bit more than what I paid. I can find out a price if anybody's interested. The guy owns a 3rd gen so he builds it up around his and then pulls it back off. (BTW his is a '98 and mine is an '02. The factory rear bumper mounts were slightly different, but in the end, both of our trucks had the same bolt holes and could have easily swapped factory bumpers around. He actually used my factory rear bumper mounts on his to put his back on) Oh, and if he doesn't want to ship, hell I'll do it as long as you pay shipping. :D

I've debated selling mine off and having the guy build me another one and allowing him to spend more time on it (and changing a few things for being able to carry gas cans and hi-lift) or even still getting an Irbis and I still might actually do that.

Anyway, I'll throw some pics of mine up within a day or two.

So my vote is, check with local fab shops and see what they can do or go with Irbis (or I can check with my guy to see if he wants to do another one).

-Ferg-

Last edited:
Example...A friend and I decided to have Rockware make us a rear bumper and tire carrier...his was a 2002 (Colorado) and my 4Runner is a 2001 (in NC at the time). The deal was that my friend was going to drop his 4Runner off and Rockware would build both bumpers using his truck as a template. Later I would drive to CO for a vacation and have it installed at Rockware. The bumper looked and fit great on the 2002 but fit too tight on one side on my '01. The fit was off enough that whenever I hit a good bump or pothole, the body would flex into the bumper causing damage to my rear hatch. Apparently there was enough of a difference between the two years to cause an issue. I now have a Sonoran Steel bumper on the rear that I had built at his place.

And ever talked to SS about theirs?--he says they have to custom make every single bumper cause every 4runner is too different? and he refuses to make them with a tire carrier because the once or twice they did make them, it was a total disaster...what does that even mean? :confused: That just doesn't make sense to me. How can all these other offroad/fab shops make swingout tire carriers for their rear bumpers? Don't get me wrong, SS makes some nice stuff and I've got a bit of it on my Runner, but I just don't understand what their deal is with the rear bumpers (and a few other things).

Dunno much about all the other shops, but in my mind, if they advertise that they make the bumper for such-and-such a vehicle, they should be able to ship. Otherwise, they should just advertise that they are a custom fab shop that can make custom rear bumpers for any vehicle you bring on by.

Have you talked to Steve to ask why he won't do mail-order bumpers or make tire carrier bumpers anymore?

Have you talked to Steve to ask why he won't do mail-order bumpers or make tire carrier bumpers anymore?

Yep. I actually have. Still seems crazy to me. But thats just me. And I guess I'm not an expert on the matter as I've only dealt with mine and the one my guy built mine up around. But lets say every 4runner is completely different somehow *from the factory*, the swingout thing is def still something I don't get.

And the fact still stands that Irbis can and does do it--as in: 1) builds them without needing your truck; 2) ships them; and 3) builds swingout tire carriers.

Not trying to get into a pissing match here, just stating my thoughts/opinions as that's what this thread is about.

-Ferg-

Yep. I actually have. Still seems crazy to me. But thats just me. And I guess I'm not an expert on the matter as I've only dealt with mine and the one my guy built mine up around. But lets say every 4runner is completely different somehow *from the factory*, the swingout thing is def still something I don't get.

Part of it had to do with the fact that he had his carrier come off his 4Runner on the highway because of a hardware failure (spindle failure). Maybe it's because of the liability issue that he does not feel comfortable with making them for his bumpers anymore.

Not trying to get into a pissing match here, just stating my thoughts/opinions as that's what this thread is about.

-Ferg-

Don't worry, I didn't think you were and I was just doing the same thing ;).

Steve has been a friend of mine for a long time but he is a big boy running his own business and makes his own decisions. It's his call on how he wants to do stuff and the point of my post was that there is some background info you and I might not know behind his decision. FWIW...his bumper is very stout and fits very well.

The pisser is there just aren't a lot of options for 3rd Gen 4Runners.

FWIW...Irbis does make good bumpers and I don't think you could go wrong in getting one of theirs if it meets your needs.

Cheers... :cheers:

As promised, here's some pics of my rear bumper. The spindle and latch are from 4x4labs (tried, tested and true).

SN852100.jpg

SN852103.jpg

SN852104.jpg

SN852105.jpg

SN852107.jpg

Nice bumper! I am having a swing-out added to my All Pro rear bumper in a week or so.

I am going to make my own bumper, got all my parts for a swingout from iron pig. I just cannot justify $1200 when I can make one for $600 including price of welder.

I was thinking about an Irbis for my 96 runner after thefergs comments. I agree with the ARB option if there was only one to be had as the front ARB sure fits well.
So I happened to buy this 99 on the weekend and it has the rear bumper and extensions rusting through quite badly.
I wanted to keep this as a daily driver and just replace the chrome bumper. Holy smack did I get a surprise asking the local Toyota dealership for a cost...the bumper and 2 extensions were like $1000.00 Canadian... an auto wreckers link to a jobbers source still put me at $750 Canuck bucks.
Do you guys know of a less expensive factory replacement supplier or I'm sort of thinking an Irbis for certain now. Sort of worried though if these suppliers are reluctant to ship a prebuilt bumper should I be worried that an Irbis is going to fit poorly as well?
thanks for any help :cheers:
99 runner pic1.jpg

Sort of worried though if these suppliers are reluctant to ship a prebuilt bumper should I be worried that an Irbis is going to fit poorly as well?
thanks for any help :cheers:

Poorly? No, but may need to be tweeked.

I ordered a "bolt-on" bumper that required grinding, cutting, drilling (of it, not my frame), hammering and the use of a Hi-lift to install (we won't talk about the missing hardware). And that was the front arb! If I were in your shoes, I'd contact irbis. After building one, his prices are more than reasonable (and can definitely understand others wanting the truck to build it on). He's got some nice looking front bumpers too.

BTW guys, very nice rear bumpers above^^^^^

edit What did you end up doing Lockd-97?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom