Looking for M10 & M12 riv nuts for Toyota bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this over in the ‘tools and fab‘ section but didn’t get anything conclusive so since it’s vaguely 80’s tech, I thought I’d try here....

Maybe I’m just being a little ‘blonde‘ here as I search but I cannot for the life of me find rivnuts in M12 and M10 with the correct thread pitch.

Just to confirm, the M10 bolts found on our Toyota’s are typically M10x1.25 and the M12’s are M12x1.50.

The only rivnuts I can find are M10x1.50 and M12x1.75. I hope I’m just being dumb and this is not really as difficult as it seems ?

Thanks for the help !!

What are you trying to do? Rivnuts typically go into thin sheet metal, and a M10 or M12 bolt is huge. I think a more common method would be to use a captured nut, like Toyota did in the frame.

Have you checked McMasters?

The Bay of E ?

Search using 'JIS' as part of your search criteria

I agree with above, 10mm rivnuts are huge, and hard to use. If you're using them in sheet metal, or even in a frame, is there really a need for such a large fastener?

The hold or grip of a large rivnut will fail well before a much smaller fastener would.

Not directly answering your question, but sort of.

I settled years ago (almost arbitrarily, but with some reasons) on a couple of rivnut sizes for all my general purpose needs, and have been satisfied with the results:

M6x1.0, Sherex p/n CAL2-610-4.2-25, McMaster #95105A183, for general purpose utility mounting. These are pretty easy to install by hand (with the special reverse nut tool and a couple of end wrenches - wratcheting GearWrenches work nicely).
M8x1.25, Sherex p/n CAL2-8125-3.8-10, McMaster #95105A191, for medium strong mounting. These are noticeably harder to install by hand, but doable (with the special reverse nut tool and a couple of end wrenches).

It's really tempting to go bigger(I was), like M10/12, for heavy duty frame stuff, but...when you look at the torque & twist out ratings and compare to proper torque for that size fastener, it seems - not quite up to the task. And they will take a lot of wrench force to install by hand, and be hard to keep in position while you're doing it. And then you get into expensive powered install tools.

I'm remembering some more stuff now, from my search years ago. I did find some manufacturer that made these larger rivnuts with higher ratings, seems like the application was auto manufacturing, suspension subframes & such. Sounded good, but literally was never able to find a distributer at all, it would have been an OEM level order, plus the tooling, proof testing, etc.,etc., so...that idea died.

For frame mount stuff, I'll make an alternative full strength suggestion - OK, it's a bit of a pain & not convenient, or even possible sometimes...
Make a nut-plate out of a long strip of flat stock steel, say 1/8" x 3/4" with a hole drilled and a high grade nut tack welded to it. Maybe a flange nut.
So, the strip is a long handle to poke the nut through some nearby hole in the frame and hold it in place inside the frame hole you want to bolt something to.
It will keep the nut from spinning, while you tighten to full M10/12 torque.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom