Looking for lawn mower reviews (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the market for a new mower. I am retiring a 28 year old Snapper RER. This has been a great mower but it burns and leaks oil, will not pull an aerator or trailor, and only has a 28" cut.

My yard is 1/3 acre with some slope in the backyard. I will need to aerate, pull bushes out of the ground and pull a trailor. Looking for at least: 40" cut, 20HP, and be as reliable as a Toyota.

I have looked at all the name brands. John Deere, Husqvarna, Craftsman, Simplicity, Toro, Snapper. Its seems that in my price range, sub $2K, the reviews are all over the place for every brand. Can you guys recommend a brand/model that will fit my requirements?

I have narrowed it down to Husqvarna or Craftsman based on research, but I'm not dead set on either one.

Thanks,

I have a 54" simplicity and it has been awesome. The fact that it comes with a limited slip rear axle and a manual locker is great. I user the locker more than I ever thought I would.

The only down side is the price. They are pretty spendy.

I have a 54" simplicity and it has been awesome. The fact that it comes with a limited slip rear axle and a manual locker is great. I user the locker more than I ever thought I would.

The only down side is the price. They are pretty spendy.

54" is way to big for my yard. But from what I see you have to spend that much to get a reliable mower these days.

Well to be as reliable as a Toyota .... the lawn tractor equivalent of a Series 80 Landcruiser is a John Deere 455 AWS.

If you can find one with one thousand hours +/- for around $3500 grab it... change out the oil for a diesel synthetic (T6 Rotella) and run it for another 3000 hours (assuming regular fluid changes and greasing

I have my second Craftsman 42" lawn tractor (PYT 9000 with 24 hp now, first was similar). The first one lasted 11 year of abuse. I mow about 2 1/2 acres and put 130+ hours a year on the mower. The engine started to burn oil at the end. I replaced the mower deck 2X, countless blades and several front axles.
I was nice to be able to order parts on the internet and have them in a week. Gophers are a problem so I mow a lot of dirt piles and used the mower to "level" out the ground. Basicly I tear the thing up....
It not quite a Toyota but good enough I bought a second.

nocents

Bought a 5 year old Husqvarna yth2042 with bagger for $300. Has 380 hours and runs like a champ. Last owner could not get it to start. Can of break free and the mower was running in 10 minutes with new gas.

Buy any sub $1500 tractor and store it in a shed, figure that you will get between 5 to 10 years depending on your care. Look for a hydrostatic transmission and antiscalping wheels on the deck. Also look for a deck with a wash nozzle to clean the deck. Before buying the $300 tractor, I was considering a troy bilt horse xp for $1399. Not pro grade, but you are mowing 1/3 of an acre. For referance I am mowing just under a 1/2 acrer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom