Looking for expert opinion on the condition of my rig! (Western MA) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright, truck is laid up for a week or so while I wait for a replacement rear locker. I sent the non-working one I received from CruiserParts back. I'll reach out again when she's back on the road.

Meanwhile, if you want to swing by, the truck is now at my new place in South Hadley. Sorry for the wishy washy business going on here. I'm dying for someone to take a look at the truck but I'm also trying to fix it as fast as possible.
I live in Granby now grew up my whole in south Hadley ! What street ?

@jaydufe stopped by last night and confirmed the spring perches are toast (Thanks for taking a look!). He actually put my mind at relative ease re: the rest of the truck.

Tipped me off to the Fall Gathering too. Gonna try and hit that up.

Now, I have a question for you, @landtank. Which is going to be the right fix here? Replace the rear axle housing or fabricate new spring perches?

Of course, without seeing it yourself it may be tough to decide but the rear axle housing had lots of scale rust and the spring perches are just rotting away. I had the truck sandblasted and undercoated, so I'm hoping that'll have halted the rust for the time being.

Am I saving myself some grief by going for it and replacing the whole housing? Is it just as much labor to remove the rear for fabrication as it is for housing replacement?

I know you've knocked out this job a time or two before. What do you think?

I replace the whole housing, actually the axle. Usually the backing plates for the brakes are shot as well as the sway bar brackets, LSPV mount and e-brake support on the rear cover.

Get a complete open axle from Cruiserparts. Even if you have e-lockers! With an e=locker all you need to do is grind a small amount where the actuator fits into the housing and you are good to go for swapping in the diff. That will save you a bunch.

Usually when I see axles for sale, they're hub to hub. Cruiserparts will sell me a housing for $150. Why would someone buy a complete axle when they can have the housing for cheap?

I just rebuilt my rear axle. Rebuilt the ebrake as well. I am not terribly keen on buying another complete axle unless I thought I could then turn around, put another full axle together, and recoup a good deal of cost.

I'm just wondering if the reason people buy the complete axle is the labor involved in swapping a housing. The rebuild wasn't too bad but I know swapping the housing is a bit more involved.

Usually when I see axles for sale, they're hub to hub. Cruiserparts will sell me a housing for $150. Why would someone buy a complete axle when they can have the housing for cheap?

I just rebuilt my rear axle. Rebuilt the ebrake as well. I am not terribly keen on buying another complete axle unless I thought I could then turn around, put another full axle together, and recoup a good deal of cost.

I'm just wondering if the reason people buy the complete axle is the labor involved in swapping a housing. The rebuild wasn't too bad but I know swapping the housing is a bit more involved.

go back and read my post again. I explain why.

I don't see it. The backing plates for the brakes? Is that the dust shields or the things the dust shields bolt to?

Sway bar brackets are OK but the end links rotted apart. Ebrake cable support is definitely gone but I get one of those with any axle housing...

I don't see it. Maybe I don't understand what an open axle is? Usually they are advertised and hub to hub or rotor to rotor. Is open axle different?

I have brand new rotors and brand new bearings in the hubs so I'm reluctant to buy more than what I need.

What did I miss?

Seems like the real pro move would have been to grab the whole axle for the swap prior to rebuilding. But since I'm on plan B, I think it's just the housing and a butt load of labor.

@swelltimes Im good on sealer. I have some tank sealer but I think the truck is gonna be laid up for about 2 months while I deal with this axle business. Id still like to swing by the office though; one day when you've got your rig with you, maybe.

Also, thanks for lending an ear to this issue, @landtank. It's tough to know the right course sometimes. Really great to hear it from the voice of experience. I'll buy you a Leffe if you're ever in the area. Moan and Dove is THE beer spot in Western MA.

I'm in. Gf is out of town for the week.

Route 33 has all the chain restaurants or theres plenty of stuff in Springfield for a bite.

I could throw a few burgers on the grill if you want to take a look at my truck or anyone else wants to roll through. I'm in South Hadley.

If you've really got some time on your hands and want to see one of the best beer bars east of the Mississippi, Moan & Dove is just outside Amherst, about 30 mins from Ludlow.

Take your pick!

Sounds good!

You guys keen to come over for a burger and a beer or trying to go out somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom