Looking for advice on a 1987 FJ60 with blown motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a 1987 FJ60 locally, one owner, engine is toast. It's locked up and from the bottom of the oil pan, looks like something broke lose and put several big dents in it. What would you guys do? Would you try to find another 4.2 2F engine or do something different? Would it be even possible to find one that would be dependable? Any idea on the cost of a used one in good running condition? I'm sure a lot of people would say go with a small block Chevy but would rather not go that direction. Maybe someone on here has an engine?

Thanks for any help

What are your plans for the 60? Stock restoration, resto-mod, hardcore wheeler? I bought a 2F off a buddy for ~$900 (ran when I bought but I chose to rebuild) and I see some on Mud here and there.
I have a 1967 F motor, but probably not the direction you want to take a 60.

Not really sure, probably just get it running and drive it. Maybe some light trail riding. I hit the guy up to buy it about 5 years ago and he wasn't interested. He's a local insurance agent and he bought it new. Use to be his DD until he bought a 200 series and then he just used it in the snow and around the farm. For some reason when I hit him up before I thought it was an FJ62 but it's a 60. Rather have a 62 to get an auto tranny, just not that crazy about a manual shift anymore. I may pass on it and do something later. He wants $8,000 for it and by the time I found an engine and swapped it out, I'd probably have another $3,000 - $4,000 in it. Not bad but all depends on what it looks like now. Last time I saw it, it looked to be in really good condition but I think he started parking it outside so I'm sure it's suffered some.

If you haven't decided yet, I say buy it and build it however you want it.

2nd @bluehawk. If the price is right, buy it, yank the motor, tear it down and get the block and crank checked out. If it's solid, you can make a decision from there and you're already 1/3 done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom