Looking for a stand alone, offline, PC based mapping program. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smritte

SILVER Star
Threads
As the title says, I need a stand alone mapping program. I have Gaia but its web based and while it works for mapping and sending to my Ipad, it has issues sending a GPX file I created to my PC.
Here's what I need to do, create a route and put the GPX file into my PC and or modify one of my existing GPX files. I have folders with all my GPX files stored. I would like to modify, share (email a GPX), update.....from my pc.

When I searched, I found a few older posts and mostly said install Gaia.

do you have a subscription with Gaia?
Yes. According to the Gaia site, there's a bug saving the GPX to PC. I use to use the Garmin software. That one rocked until my Garmin got stolen and i went to tablet. When I built a new pc and loaded it, it wouldn't finish installation until I synced with a Garmin product.

I like being able to do my map creating/editing without needing internet.

oziexplorer runs on a windows pc.

cheers,
george.

I was able to import GPX files into this website and export into GAIA.. but I use a Mac so it may not work on PC..

have you tried the Garmin explorer? Select a Language

You do not need a device to create an account for this..

When I just tried it, it said I have to have a device to access it. That's the issue I had before. I really liked the Garmin software.

That is weird. I do not have a Garmin device and it allowed me to create an account..

I've used Delorme Streets and Topo products in the past. They are still selling a desktop solution.

I've used Delorme Streets and Topo products in the past. They are still selling a desktop solution.

Did Delorme get bought out by Garmin? I tried searching for Delorme and Nat Geo, but came up empty. The link that @NITC posted got me to look a bit more and I found Garmin Base Camp but its not topo. @BMThiker Your link got me the Topo map that goes in it. This is the exact combo I use to have but couldn't seem to locate. Base camp is free and the topo part is $99. I already have an account and had payed for it several years ago. I went to see if they would let me redownload and sadly I have to buy it again.

Thanks guys, this is what I needed. I do still have a vague memory of something that went wrong the last time I reinstalled it but, don't remember what. I have the basic version installed but have to wait until next month to get the topo. I'll post up how it goes once I get the topo installed.

I'm looking for something similar. I have tracks and so on in Backcountry Navigator, OnX, and an old Garmin device that I'd like to clean up and combine on the PC, then re-export. Building new routes on the PC would be a bonus but not strictly necessary.

Since you are using Garmin products, I would consider Basecamp from Garmin. It's free but you have to either buy maps or import openstreet maps.

You could try more powerful software like QGIS, or other opensource alternatives to ArcGIS. These are really powerful GIS tools that can do far more than just edit GPX tracks.

As the title says, I need a stand alone mapping program. I have Gaia but its web based and while it works for mapping and sending to my Ipad, it has issues sending a GPX file I created to my PC.
Here's what I need to do, create a route and put the GPX file into my PC and or modify one of my existing GPX files. I have folders with all my GPX files stored. I would like to modify, share (email a GPX), update.....from my pc.

When I searched, I found a few older posts and mostly said install Gaia.
Look at Canada Topos for iOS if using a phone or iPad. Completely free. Uses government topos. Has basic tracking, flags, sharing etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom