looking for 2002 - 2004 Taco Double Cab 4wd Limited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High and dry in the desert, dancing between hemisp
Hello All,

We are finally moving back to the US and I am looking for the Holy Grail of Tacos: 2002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4wd four door Limited with diff lock. Ideally from a western state, low miles and few previous owners.

If you know of anything like this, please PM me. We are moving back in June but I'd like to get the rig ASAP. I've found a few on the East Coast but I am not too keen to get a rust bucket. I'm not looking for a cheap rig - I want the right rig. Thanks in anticipation!

Cheers,

josh

you want a '02 then ;)

screw dat throttle by wire chit :wrench:

I'm afraid I don't know that much about the Tacos. Was 2002 the last of the throttle cable? I know that I can only get the auto in those years (sadly) but is there any particular thing to watch out for in those years? Is there a better year of the double cab?

I am toying with the idea of bringing a HiLux 3 litre turbo diesel/5 speed/transfer case with me when I ship everything back. I had one of these in my 2004 HiLux here and it was a great engine.

I wanted to bring a bed from here to put on my future Taco (I like the lip with the external tie down hooks rather than the smooth sided US version) and a set of front doors with vent windows. However, after looking at photos of my Aussie '04 HiLux and comparing them with photos of the '04 Taco, it looks like neither will fit. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I had planned to buy a new Taco double cab when I get back but after looking at/driving a couple at the Dealer in Santa Fe I found that they are really far larger than I like; it feels more like an F150 than a 'Yota. This is why I thought of getting an '04 as that is the newest I can find as an actual 'mini' truck. I'd be happy to pay top-dollar for a very low mile, unmolested and clean western rig.

Josh

Best of luck with your search. That model is a difficult one to find.

Do 2001-2002. No partial drive by wire.

Do 2001-2002. No partial drive by wire.

Thanks, that's what I'll try for. Sounds like yours is what I'm after:D

Where in Colorado do you live? I grew up in Boulder. I saw the exact rig I wanted at Boulder Toyota recently (except it was white, but that is what pain shops are for) but I did not know we were moving back yet so I only looked longingly at it. Had I known I would be moving back I would have bought it and parked it in my garage in Santa Fe.

Josh

Don't let the throttle by wire scare you away from the 03 & 04. I've got an 03 dcab and I don't even really notice the tbw. Unlike the 2nd gen it still has a throttle cable so its not exactly like the newer trucks which are all computer controlled.

Thanks, that's what I'll try for. Sounds like yours is what I'm after:D

Where in Colorado do you live? I grew up in Boulder. I saw the exact rig I wanted at Boulder Toyota recently (except it was white, but that is what pain shops are for) but I did not know we were moving back yet so I only looked longingly at it. Had I known I would be moving back I would have bought it and parked it in my garage in Santa Fe.

Josh

Love my dcab. Had it since it had 8 miles. And I'm up in Fort Collins. And on the partial drive by wire. While not bad, I prefer my non dbw. I have driven them back to back since my dad has a 2003.

Good call on the east coast/salt belt vehicles. I'd also say get a 01-02. I don't care for DBW, myself.

If you can bring over a diesel Hilux, that would be the most ideal. They're highly sought after here and would fetch a premium price if you decide to sell. Of course, this is all assuming you can get it registered here. :D

Hello All,

We are finally moving back to the US and I am looking for the Holy Grail of Tacos: 2002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4wd four door Limited with diff lock. Ideally from a western state, low miles and few previous owners.

If you know of anything like this, please PM me. We are moving back in June but I'd like to get the rig ASAP. I've found a few on the East Coast but I am not too keen to get a rust bucket. I'm not looking for a cheap rig - I want the right rig. Thanks in anticipation!

Cheers,

josh

What's the reason for wanting a Limited? AFAIK, the seats are the only upgrade from a loaded up SR5 TRD. If you plan to do your own suspension, you can pick up an SR5 with an elocker and not a TRD, though that's really rare.
I thought I had to have a Limited when I went shopping for my 03 in 03, but I love my truck. It was an SR5, non TRD with an elocker, auto, power everything, cruise, tilt, sliding rear window, color matched bumpers, aluminum wheels, etc...The only option that I would have wanted that I have yet to add is a sunroof.

Josh, i just pulled this search via autotrader and all I did was eliminated the 4wd choice. The reason for doing so is pretty much excluding the locker and 4wd it gives you a broader choice of unmolested and unabused rigs with easily a 1-Owner situation, the same way I initially found our 1995 2nd-Gen 4Runner which I then converted.

Adding a locker and 4wd is not all that hard and if you're not game to do it yourself there's always Wyatt@RockSolidToys who can help do it. :cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom