Look what found it's way into my garage... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spdwaver

Formerly Kalifornistanian
Threads
A Lincoln Idealarc TIG 250.

Now, I am going to need a little help (okay, more than a little) with getting what I need to get this hooked up. I have only welded with flux core (Lincoln SP135T), so this is completely new to me.

I am not asking how to use it (but feel free to offer any suggestions) but I am trying to find out what it will take to get it hooked up to my residence. There are currently no plugs on the end of the cable, but there are two stripped leads and one lead that may be a ground (with an eye connector), within the same bundle.

As far as connections, I have only one plug intended for a washer or dryer.

I do not own this unit, but the owner is going to get everything I need to be able to use it as a TIG or arc, which includes paying for all the necessary wiring.

Thank you in advance for any advice you have to offer. :cheers:
IMG_2388.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you will need at least a 70 amp breaker to run it on 230V. A dryer plug will not handle 60A. You can run it on less current, but it may trip the breaker if you use it over 50% power. It can run on 208, 230 or 460V depending on how the jumpers are set on the transformer, so you need to find out how it is set up to run now and change the jumpers if necessary.

If your electric service is at your garage, you can just pop a 70A breaker in your box and run a short circuit of 6 ga THNN wire to a box and receptacle inside the garage. I use a 50A breaker (the largest I can get for my particular box and a 3 prong electric range plug and recepticle to run a similar Linde Heliarc 250A welder.

The good thing about these boat anchor welders is your friends won't ask to borrow it. They are also excellent stick welders.

Thank you for the reply, looks like this could be a bit of work to sort out.

It isn't a lot of work. It was probably wired for 230V if it was used at home, but it is easy to check by removing the cover and checking the jumper positions. They are labeled for the voltages. It could run off of a 30A dryer circuit, but probably not more than 40% power. You can still weld a lot with it at 120 amps max.

It took me about an hour to install a 50A circuit. The breaker box is outside my garage and the new circuit is about 12 inches long to go from the box to inside. Just install the new breaker, and outlet box with conduit and run the wire. Done.

It isn't a lot of work. It was probably wired for 230V if it was used at home, but it is easy to check by removing the cover and checking the jumper positions. They are labeled for the voltages. It could run off of a 30A dryer circuit, but probably not more than 40% power. You can still weld a lot with it at 120 amps max.

It took me about an hour to install a 50A circuit. The breaker box is outside my garage and the new circuit is about 12 inches long to go from the box to inside. Just install the new breaker, and outlet box with conduit and run the wire. Done.

Thank you.

The unit was purchased from a school, where it was used until it was removed, so I will confirm the jumper positions.

I will let the owner of this unit know what he will need to do to get it hooked up...I will do the work, he says he'll pay for it, and I'll get to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom