Longfield hub gears - worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

maybe i am lost here, but bobbys 30spl longs only have 30spl in the inner birf, not the hub. the hub is the standard spline count.

Stock hub is 30 spline, stock IFS is like 27 I think...

4x4Poet said:
Great info. I didn't know of that OR.com Aisin link in their Toyota section. I also didn't know Bobby offered 4340 hub gears.

So, school me on which Aisin hubs I could install Bobby's 4340 hub gears into:

IFS Toyota?
30-spline Toyota (works on both straight axle pickups & 30-spline FJs, right?)
???

Anything else to know for the hub gear install?
rusty_tlc said:
Follow the link in my post, the site gives a nice summary of the Aisin Hubs.
Basically the inner hub has splines on the inside and the outside. The housing has splines inside which engage the outside splines of the inner hub at all times. Aparently these splines are the same for all Toyota and Suzuki Aisin hubs. When you rotate the knob on the outside of the hub it pushes the inner hub down so it engages the inside splines. If I understand correctly it is only the splines on the inside of the inner hub vary with application. So if you match the inner splines to your birfields you should be able to use any Toy or Zuk Aisin hub huosing.

2nd what Rusty says. If all goes well I'll have a set of IFS Aisins on the workbench this weekend and I'll post of details of both IFS and solid.

Excellent info! :beer:

When I upgrade to 30-spline chromo birfs & inners, I definitely also want to upgrade to Aisin hubs with 4340 inners. Great combo.

I thought I wheel my rig maybe for a year or more with front stock axle, ARB locker, 33" + chains .. with no issues.

Now Cromo set 27 splines ( yes I know why not 30 ? :frown: ) ARB 37" + chains stock hubs with no issues yet ( knock wood ).

Followup on the IFS vs solid axle Aisin hubs: Was cleaning up today and had a solid axle and IFS hub side by side. Everything is the same and interchanges except the inner gear/splines. It's obvious when you look at it that the inner diameter is smaller.

So what Mace and Rusty posted above is correct, take Bobby's innermost gears, add an IFS hub and you're gold.

Last time I was at Airport Wreckers (the big import wrecking yard hereabouts) they had boxes of IFS hubs, no solid axel hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom