Longevity of powertrain on a 95 Cherokee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, I know....

A friend in Ohio is interested in a 95 Cherokee, 4.0 auto, that appears to be very clean and well taken care of. I've given her my thoughts on Chryslers and on how to have it inspected if it looks good in real life.

My question is, if fairly well taken care of, what kind of life does this powertrain stand up to. The J**p in question has 120 000 miles on the clock. Do these engines hold up to 200 or 300k miles, or should it be expected to start leaving a Chrysler Cloud behind it soon? Is it a decent tranny?

Thanks,
Curtis.

The 4.0L is a stout motor, as are most any I-6. If the trans is the Aisian, then it's a great trans. The transfer case is pretty good too. Axles are junk for wheeling, but not terrible for on road use.

The issues are with the other stuff. The radiators are junk. The fuel injection can have problems. Seats are utter crap. Overall build quality is nothing like a 4Runner from that era.

If nothing else it should be damn cheap. I wouldn't pay more than a couple of grand for a really nice Cherokee with that mileage.

Thanks.

I've gotten 220xxx out of 2 XJs. 1 smoked really bad, the other just leaked. I never feared being stranded.

A 4.0 with an AW4 auto tranny (if properly maintained) will go a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way.........my '89 Comanche (same engine setup as the subject Cherokee, but mine is a "Renix" and isn't the "H.O." version like a '95) has 304,000 on the original engine and tranny........runs GREAT. No problems (hardly even leaks) Don't know if it's the Shell Rotella or what, but I'm a believer! Maintenance is key! With only 120K on the clock, it should be good for another 100K even if not meticulously maintained. The first preventative maintenance I'd do would be to automatically replace the crank position sensor, because it IS about to fail. No question about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom