long term storage options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a lead on a facility that has long term storage for a vehicle? Preferably in the Triangle or east and indoor. Terry from Cary is trying to become Terry from Kauai and I don't want to take my truck, as we would already be shipping the wife's 4runner. Also, any tips on what should be done to it beforehand? I'd have a family member drive it occasionally, so draining fluids wouldn't work.

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone have a lead on a facility that has long term storage for a vehicle? Preferably in the Triangle or east and indoor. Terry from Cary is trying to become Terry from Kauai and I don't want to take my truck, as we would already be shipping the wife's 4runner. Also, any tips on what should be done to it beforehand? I'd have a family member drive it occasionally, so draining fluids wouldn't work.

Thanks

Depends on how "occasionally" it is going to be driven

Uhh my house bro! :). I can drive it to work once a week. :)

U might be moving to HI?

When u coming down this way I need some stuff cleaned bad

Meatball

Al,
I'd have them drive it as often as you wise senseis would advise.

Fatballs,
We are working on a plan for it. Won't be until at least Christmas due to the quarantine issues with the dog. Let me see about scheduling a trip down there. It'll probably have to be after Labor Day week, but I'll see.

Wish I were in a position to help with the space. Mikaela would love to drive it around for you, she has planted the seed in my brain that she likes them.

Glad things are working out for you, should be a fantastic oportunity for you guys...

Whatever you do, do not drain the oil and tranny fluid. Drain the fuel only. Leaving the oily fluids in will not hurt anything and actually protect it all. That said if it's gonna be driven about once a month a little fuel additive will suffice. I have been watching over my friend's fj40 for a couple years now and drive it around fairly regularly so I keep fresh fuel in it. Find a trusted friend with a shelter and/or buy a cover for it and let them keep it for you. That's easiest and cheapest.

Terry.

I'd say have someone give it a good long drive twice a month. That will make sure the gas is fresh and the battery is charged up.

How long are you planning on being gone for??? If more than a year also just have them change the oil once a year even though they won't hit the mileage requirement on the oil.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Our current goal is two years, as I feel like I may succumb to "island fever" and need the contiguous 48 under my feet. However, who knows what will happen? If we decide to stay longer, I'll have to decide whether to have it shipped over. In the short term, I just don't want the island life to take it's toll. It'll cost $1100 to have it shipped in each direction, so I figure I'll just find a beater toyota truck for a couple of grand and just sell it when we leave.

With the gas tanks I am hoping thru here right now on customers trucks I will say this. Do not drain it. Leave it full but use ethonal free gas. And put some stabil in it. If you drain it I can show you picks of a rusty fuel tank that just sit for a long time.

During my deployments I had my trucks up on stands and the wife could start them and let the axles turn.

Terry, when I get my house I'm going to need a car to DD while I rip moonshine apart (again). What do you think?

I'll take good care of her, I promise :D

With the gas tanks I am hoping thru here right now on customers trucks I will say this. Do not drain it. Leave it full but use ethanol free gas. And put some stabil in it. If you drain it I can show you picks of a rusty fuel tank that just sit for a long time.

And just in case, you might want to add some treatment that neutralizes the impacts of ethanol .... am having an early alzheimer's moment here as I forgot the name of the stuff I use in my motorcycles, but I'll look it up and get that info to you.

EDIT: Found it, Starbright Enzyme Formula ... good stuff
http://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-En...704&sr=8-1&keywords=starbright+enzyme+formula and
http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/93/123/lang,en/

I would put in some fuel stabilizer, and keep it up on jackstands to prevent flat spots. maybe disconnect the battery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom