locking the front end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
where can i buy a fj80 locker besids a junkyard (none in the area that have a 80 w/ locker) what else is needed to convert it to a 40 front axel? i was looking at the dawney kit. any comments. also what about welding the spider and side gears in the front. if i did that i prob could afford to lock the rear also. this is a everyday driver.

If you have and every day driver i would highly suggest NOT welding your gears...even in the front. The front you are more likely to break something with a welded front because of the birfs unless you upgrade...then you are going to blow the inners....anyway my suggestion is to either do an ARB..probly cost you the same as an 80 locker in the end (need a "new" inner with longer splines) or if you want a cheap way to lock the rear do a lockright or better yet try and assie locker...the guys on pirate are raving about them...and they are onsale for like 200 each...cheap and easy. If i didn't get a screamin deal on two ARBs and alreay have a lockright i would probably have gotten an Aussie locker...maybe i will get one for my 4skinna!

hth

I rode in a Chev this weekend that had a welded front end and it was a pain in the ass.

Most of the time he just left one hub unlocked (otherwise he woudn't be able to turn a corner) and if he did get stuck on a hillclimb, we'd have to jump out and lock the other hub.

is your 40 a daily or a weekend warrier? My trail-only FJ40 does well with a lunchbox locker front (EZ-Locker or Lockright or Aussielocker) and my rear is welded. For a daily, selectable (ARB or electric) are your best bets in the rear, front is optional depending on if you use 4wd during winter driving.

It really depends totally on your use of the rig.

and, IMO, limited slips are just that...limited (and therefore useless)

and, IMO, limited slips are just that...limited (and therefore useless)
What if you did more Gravel driving than you did Bush Tracks, Then a L.S.D. is more useful. - The Viscouse L.S.D. in Patrol's are very good on Gravel Roads, Like when I was in a GU Ti with about 4" Spring Lift and 280/85 16 Jungle Trekkers :D - 120km/h on the Gravel Road into Wombat state Forest(Even through fairly tight corners). :cheers:

For general use an Auburn LSD is great. Heavy use or rock look at the aussie loocker or the EZ locker. Both would work great in the front but only at lower speeds. At hi speeds, 10-15 mph they will be a bear to steer. The ARB is the best but very expensive. GO cheap in the front as you can always undo a hub. In the RR I have a no slip I like but I still want an ARB or a McNamera.

where can i get a aussie locker?

[quote author=tres link=board=1;threadid=6235;start=msg50407#msg50407 date=1066079987]
where can i get a aussie locker?
[/quote]

also, see the vendor corner here :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom