lock rite gone bad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the dang lock rite has bitten the dust. I can't add an ARB to the rear right now and I
was thinking of replacing the spider gears for a while. Any gremlins I should be aware of?
It's been years since I installed the rear lock rite and I'm not sure of the re-install of the
spider gears procedures. Any tips will be appreciated. Man I'm glad I saved those spider gears!
Thanks in advance, I remain,
David of Pumpkintown

How the hell do you hurt a lockrite? We've been beating the piss out of ours for years and have never been able to hurt one. ???

I wanna know how you did it too! Mines been in heavy use on and offroad for over 5 years and still looks brand new. Are looks deceiving? Mine is DD w/33s & 350 SBC. It lives a rough life pulling trailers, rock crawling, and many other forms of abuse, including flat towing hammerhead all the way to moab and any other run we decide to hit together. We had the rear out a while back and could hardly tell my old lockrite from hammerheads new one. I swear by them.

I've run the thing for years with no problems too. Heck, it hardly was noticeable it was in there.
Just a little clicking on turns from stop. I did some sorta rough wheeling this summer ( Hushhole
and GSMTR) and on my way home from Tellico I noticed some vibration. I got a little mad after
working on my 60's manifolds (Grrrrrrr) and took the 40 for a spin. As I left the stop sign and turned right
with a heavy foot on the gas......bang.....clinky rear end noises ensued. I'm thinking it's one of the pins
in the lock rite. I saw the same thing in a friend's Cruiser recently. I'm hoping the removal of the lock rite
and the re-install of the spider gears will come to me when I open the pumpkin up. ;)
I have a front ARB in and I'll be adding an ARB to the rear this winter. (hint to Santa).
I love the Lock Rite but don't want to install another with the ARB around the corner.

Post your findings when you open it up. We'd sure like to know what failed.

Remove lockright. Install thrust washers with oil grooves or dimples towards gears. Push axles in. Install c-clips. Pull axles outward trapping clips. Install spiders, thrust washers, crosspin, and block. Secure crosspin with bolt. Install cover. Fill. Drive. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom