Local-ish Trails? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've dug around and saw Francis Marion but are there any other trail rides in the local area to go? I'm closer to GA than Charleston and was looking for a 3hr radius trip to go camping with my daughter. Nothing too adventurous - not looking to crawl rocks or get burried in mud (no recovery gear). Too picky?

It's just soo flat here and fairly developed that it seems like the upstate has all the fun.

I need to see something other than pavement. Bad.

Not much around here. Gulches or Durham town are about the closest .
We wheel at Uwharrie alot, it's about 4 hrs from me .

Not much around here. Gulches or Durham town are about the closest .
We wheel at Uwharrie alot, it's about 4 hrs from me .

Thanks for info. Thought I was missing something. Seems like everything is a 4 hour drive. Suppose it's the trade off for a 20 min ride to the beach.

Yep such is the Low Country SC wheeling pain. Used to be some ninja spots around here that no one got bothered on, but that was a while back before the fire. They've all been developed or logged and gated.

Bummer. Suppose Francis Marion is the first stop then. I'll check the GA area too. The local Savannah group seems to have gone extinct.

Sounds fun! The Adventure park is up that way too. It may be spring before I'm ready anyway. I have a few things on my list to resolve (TREs and knuckles) and would love to do a trail ready check list.

Haven't been to gulches in a whil ebut I take the Sammy for that kind of wheeling.

I'd love a Gluches trip. Im currently working on mapping out FM forest, but school and work are priority

Bummer. Suppose Francis Marion is the first stop then. I'll check the GA area too. The local Savannah group seems to have gone extinct.

Yeah the Savannah group is dead. There isn't anywhere to wheel around here either unless you like mud.

Here is the Francis Marion trail map: map 9 and 15 have trails for vehicles 50" wide or less. Worth an exploration. Maybe just dirt raods. We will see. I will report back.

Attachments

• stelprd3856535.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 73
Those are probably the Wambah cycle trails. I've ridden them on a 4 wheeler before. Lots of bumps, lots of mud when it rains.

Ive got that map, but Ive made one a bit easier to read. Ive been marking down trails I drive on when I go and plan on marking any specific scenic trails/spots, marking any mud, or anything interesting. Conifer B is overgrown and has a seriously deep mud pit and Big Island loop has a killer trail trough the swamp thats really nasty
Francis Marion Map.jpg

Ive got a larger file of that map i can email to anyone, it's got all the trails and their names. My plan is to outline pavement in a color, gravel in another, and overgrown roads or trails in another color... I'll annotate wet/muddy trails etc... If anyone has any knowledge of certain trails or roads let me know, it'll save my time and gas

Ive got a larger file of that map i can email to anyone, it's got all the trails and their names. My plan is to outline pavement in a color, gravel in another, and overgrown roads or trails in another color... I'll annotate wet/muddy trails etc... If anyone has any knowledge of certain trails or roads let me know, it'll save my time and gas

I'll take a larger version. I'm really hoping to head up there this weekend with my daughter (reality permitting). We can mark out what we find. At 2 1/2 hrs from here, it's the closest trail I've found. Any camping recommendations ?

I wanted to do my TRE's too this weekend but am concerned about getting the old ones off the rods (after reading all the threads). My new 555s may have to wait until I buy some new rods.

You should be able to get them off without too much trouble, but you WILL need an alignment when you get done.

You should be able to get them off without too much trouble, but you WILL need an alignment when you get done.
Thanks @dbenke , I did give it the old college try and with my limited tool selection was unsuccessful. The shop said they would do it for $220 with alignment. Grrr. The knuckle job I did went perfect but a 5 bolts job had my a$$. Frustrating. Couldn't get enough bite and leverage on the rod to twist.

having he right tools will make a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom