LMU-330 gps tracker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this essentially Lo Jack? I like the idea of having something like this. The tip alert might not be a bad idea to have if someone tries to steal the vehicle on a flatbed truck.

The LMU-330 uses Verizon 3G, and the fact that they say "includes 1 year of service" definitely suggests that you have to pay up for more service after 1 year. No contract just usually means you don't have to pay to cancel.

If you're using this as theft deterrent/recovery the LMU-330 might make sense, although the spot trace might be a better option as it uses satellites instead of 3G.

But if you need a tracker for emergency use, the LMU-330 isn't a good choice as it useless outside of cell range. Both the Spot and the Garmin Inreach use satellites with worldwide coverage.

I have also never liked Spot with their mandatory annual plans. I recommend the Garmin InReach which offers no contract, monthly service and you only pay for the months in which you actually use it. For me, that's like 2-3 months a year.

it says it has both. "Superior internal antennas for both cellular and GPS"
I was looking into it because I'm on the southern border and had my xr 650l stolen out of my driveway and I know, by the footprints around my 80, that someone has been looking at it...

The lmu330 has GPS satellite receiver but not a satellite communication uplink which both the Spot and Inreach has. In other words the lmu330 is unable to report location when out of cell range.

it has gps but doesn't? not sure if I follow.

The LMU330 has GPS receiver for location but cannot transmit that location when there is no cell service.

You can only receive from gps. Transmission has to go through a different network like Iridium system.

Hope that clarifies things

Last edited:
Garmin InReach all the way. Has the Sat messaging and gps. I pay $12 a month for the basic package. Raise it to the $30 a month for 1-2 months a year during hunting and fishing seasons when we do extended trips off the road system. Everyone I know that has a appt beacon has switched over. And InReach to InReach messaging is included in the basic package.

You can text any cell phone from your Inreach, not just other Inreach units

do they make an inreach that can be hidden and is hard wired? like lojack in a way? since they don't make motorcycle lojack anymore...

Not that I know off. You could rig an InReach up with a power connection and hide it but it doesn't turn on automatically. You can buy inexpensive trackers on Ebay/AliExpress but they require cell network access and you still have to pay for contract.

With InReach you can text or email anyone but there is a fee with the basic service when you don’t send one of the preset messages or service can be upgraded. Messaging from InReach to another InReach is included in the basic. It’s about the size of a phone, waterproof, and the battery lasts a long time. In the backcountry I use a small 10w solar panel to charge devices. You have to turn on the tracking feature and there is a fee depending on how offen you send the data.

I'm not interested in texting. What I want is a hidden tracker in case my motorcycle/80 or whatever vehicle is stolen, I can track it...
I had a bike stolen right out of my driveway..

I've been using a spot trace since 2016 on my FJ40. I don't have experience with the other systems mentioned so far, though spot is working fine and I don't plan to change.

Whatever you do I recommend getting something simple that once set up requires no input and does it's thing reliably for a very long time. Eventually when nothing happens it's easy to slack off and let your guard down. It needs to work when you forget about security and aren't paying attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom