LJ78 Brake master cylinder replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guy's I'm looking for advice,

I have a 92 LJ78 import from Japan, its the LWB 4 wheel disc version with the 2.4l turbo diesel. Unfortunately the brake master cylinder decided to let go the other day and even more unfortunate is that it appears to have been leaking for a while and has destroyed the booster as well. We have tried to reseal the MC but its scored and beyond being salvaged without a resleeve. Cut a long story short, the factory master cylinder has been discontinued or only available through Toyota directly at bonkers prices (€2500 + for MC + booster) and long lead times. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue and what parts did they use to fix (i.e. other vehicle/model etc). I was looking at possibly using a 90 series booster and MC as the bulkhead bolt pattern looks the same and the MC pipe locations look pretty similar. The two issues I see are: the MC is a 1" bore and not 15/16 like the original, also all the 90 series stuff is for ABS systems, I don't think this would cause to big of a difference but I'm no expert here either. I'm really at a loss here as I can find the bits for the rear drum models but not the disc/disc setup. Appreciate any help, suggestions or advice going.

Thanks for that, it states its for an ABS vehicle, mine has no ABS, does that matter. Also is your disc front/rear or disc/drum as most i find are for disc/drum.

Thanks for that, it states its for an ABS vehicle, mine has no ABS, does that matter. Also is your disc front/rear or disc/drum as most i find are for disc/drum.

Not sure about the ABS thing. Mines disk front and rear (all the JDM 1990+ LJ7x/KZJ7x are disk front/rear). The pre 1990 and also European market ones came with drum rear I think.

Not sure about the ABS thing. Mines disk front and rear (all the JDM 1990+ LJ7x/KZJ7x are disk front/rear). The pre 1990 and also European market ones came with drum rear I think.
Ok, that's good to know. I've located a booster so this might work. Appreciate the advice

Hi Guy's I'm looking for advice,

I have a 92 LJ78 import from Japan, its the LWB 4 wheel disc version with the 2.4l turbo diesel. Unfortunately the brake master cylinder decided to let go the other day and even more unfortunate is that it appears to have been leaking for a while and has destroyed the booster as well. We have tried to reseal the MC but its scored and beyond being salvaged without a resleeve. Cut a long story short, the factory master cylinder has been discontinued or only available through Toyota directly at bonkers prices (€2500 + for MC + booster) and long lead times. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue and what parts did they use to fix (i.e. other vehicle/model etc). I was looking at possibly using a 90 series booster and MC as the bulkhead bolt pattern looks the same and the MC pipe locations look pretty similar. The two issues I see are: the MC is a 1" bore and not 15/16 like the original, also all the 90 series stuff is for ABS systems, I don't think this would cause to big of a difference but I'm no expert here either. I'm really at a loss here as I can find the bits for the rear drum models but not the disc/disc setup. Appreciate any help, suggestions or advice going.
Have you looked on amayama ? or euro 4x4 i bought a new cylinder and booster for my LJ70 and it was about £350

I’ve just looked, they have the booster available but the MC is permanently available, it something I’ve come up against time and time again. Will try the 80 series version and see if that works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom