LJ71 Replacement Steering Wheel Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Too many white knuckle moments have taken their toll on my steering wheel, I can feel the plastic coming loose from the steel rim underneath my hand so I need to find a new one. The stock item has been a good fit for me, plus it says "LandCruiser" on it :cool:

i-RVtSZFN-M.jpg

...but I'm guessing a new OEM may be unobtainium or $$$. Is anyone running a decent aftermarket wheel with similar dimensions, that fitted up nicely? Stock outside dia is 390mm / 15.4" & the rim is just over an inch thick.

Another option may be getting the outer part re-done in leather, if doing that I'd need to find a junkyard item to use in the meantime, do other Toyota wheels from the same era fit?

Cheers
Clint

I am in the exact same boat, so I would like to hear what people have done. I've read about people using glue in a needle to reattach the rubber and about putting a cover on them that you stitch up.

Amazon has a leather steering wheel wrap in many different sizes, colors and dimensions. Real leather too. I just installed this one in size L3, I have the same wheel as you on my KZJ78. It comes with needle and leather thread, fit perfect and feels nice. Look up some stitching patterns and techniques on youtube. Install took me approx 2 hours. Downside is the spokes don't get fully covered but for $15 and a couple hours, you can't really go wrong. I don't have an issue with my wheel, but I put this on to protect, I like the feel of a thicker wheel and the texture of leather better than the plastic were my main motivators. I'll post a pic when I get a minute.

Amazon product ASIN B084QDRYQV
I noticed this guy offers a full leather wrapped 70 series wheel in grey for $479. Pretty sure these are one off parts he has up for sale on his site. You might be able to find someone to do this custom for you locally as well. This does look alot better than the $15 solution above. One day I'd like to go this route somehow. More important upgrades for now though.

Another option could be this company out of AUS offers some aftermarket wheels for the current production 70 series, I have no idea if they would work on your model and they are extremely expensive. Search: 10 results found for "steering wheel" - https://www.pvsautomotive.com.au/search?type=product&options%5Bprefix%5D=last&options%5Bunavailable_products%5D=last&q=steering+wheel

Last edited:
Too many white knuckle moments have taken their toll on my steering wheel, I can feel the plastic coming loose from the steel rim underneath my hand so I need to find a new one. The stock item has been a good fit for me, plus it says "LandCruiser" on it :cool:

i-RVtSZFN-M.jpg

...but I'm guessing a new OEM may be unobtainium or $$$. Is anyone running a decent aftermarket wheel with similar dimensions, that fitted up nicely? Stock outside dia is 390mm / 15.4" & the rim is just over an inch thick.

Another option may be getting the outer part re-done in leather, if doing that I'd need to find a junkyard item to use in the meantime, do other Toyota wheels from the same era fit?

Cheers
Clint

I can get a you a near-mint stock wheel in the same color...

Hi. If I understand you correct I had the same issue on my `87 LJ73. I drilled a small hole (3-5mm) through the backside of the rubber, then I filled it good up with TEC7. That did the trick, the rubber on mine fastened to the steel like brand new.
Now I`ve changed to a 80series steering wheel. Only a minor adjustment to the horn and blinking function (used it from the 70-series) the splines are the same.

If you can land it in NZ for under US$150 I may be interested.

Will try injecting some glue first, otherwise the current best option from the local aftermarket is this OMP one.

Cheers
Clint
I would do the glue inject, then wrap it in the leather overwrap. Just take your time sewing it up tight and even all the way around. I have used these leather wraps in the past on 2 cruisers and was really impressed. Most people can't tell it isn't OEM, and it feels great under the fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom