Lj70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. Looking for some feedback. I admit, I don't know much about 70 series. I have an 80 and have had a 60 in the past. So, here goes.

There is a nice 1986 left hand drive. LJ70 available locally for $16k. It is basically stock. Imported from Europe 2 yrs ago. 100k miles. No rust, everything works. Runs nice and no leaks, etc.

Is this a reasonable price?
What are some of the differences between a LJ and BJ? The book says it only has 96 bhp. Do these rigs have enough power to get out of their own way? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
LJ70 has coil springs but smaller diffs than BJ. The 2.4 non turbo versions should be quite reliable but not much power. The turbo 2.4 motors have a little more urge but are a reliability handgrenade & are best avoided.

No idea on pricing where you are but one like that would be about $4K in NZ o_O

Cheers
Clint

I have an opinion.

The plus column.
LHD is a safety advantage, when everyone else is seeing from the left and driving from the left. Driving from the ditch side is possibly not good for your lower intestines, being puckered up so tight all the time in traffic.\
Limited Slip differential.
LJ's have coil springs, which is more comfortable, more responsive and less bone jarring on pavement. 80 vs 60 is a fitting analogy.
The minus column.
The 2LT has a nasty reputation, reputed defective head, and it is at it's limit pulling a stock weight, options and accessories added push it over.
The smaller axles and differentials are smaller, diminutive in comparison, and probably less capable on the trail.

I think if it's condition is as stated, that price is probably good. Condition matters more than mileage, it's a Land Cruiser in every respect, and the expectation for longevity is no different than the big pumpkin kind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights. From what I'm reading, it seems like $16k is high but there is no rust, low miles and all original. I'm also reading that the 2L is a good motor but the 2LT has problems. I think this one has the 2L. As I have a nice 80 series that can haul and pull, I'm looking for a rig that goes down the road ok, decent mpg, but can get off the road to hunting and fishing spots. Any other personal experience is appreciated. Thanks.

{\
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416525804.601996.jpg

I drove an '86 LJ70 (2LT) for a few hundred miles today, mostly U.S. hwy's and state roads, but a little bit of interstate too. I'm past the terror of wondering when it might explode, sorta like the expected doom of the catastrophic headgasket failure on the '80 or the rolling rod throwing oil galley plug on the '62.
It doesn't disappoint, I don't expect it to excel at much, but overall it's an exceedingly pleasant driving experience. And compared to the other Land Cruisers, 25 mpg is another reason to smile every time I get in it.

Looks like the non-turbo so no worries about the motor as long as you can live with the lack of power. Apart from the small motor (which may be a deal breaker if wheeling at altitude in CO???) they go well offroad - low gears, plenty of ground clearance, ok suspension. If you're planning on fitting big tyres & lockers however you may want to look for a heavy duty 70 with the bigger diffs.

Cheers
Clint

2l engine and its bullet proof.

If you don't intend to put on big wheels then this will do you fine. Once you put on 35" Tyres you will have to change the diff ratios or as I did, the engine.

Otherwise enjoy!

Price can't comment.

My understanding is that the 2.4LT (the turbo) isn't the issue but the 2.4LTE. I had a 2.4LT. It purred like a kitten. Had relatively decent power and rolled down the road smoother than my 80.

Yes it was light duty but it was fun as hell. I would consider it light duty much like a Tacoma or 4Runner.

Hi all,

I have a friend with a LJ73. Neat rig!

The drive train is very similar that of the same year HiLux 4wd pickups.

My friend had the 2L turbo engine (dunno whether it was a 2L-T or 2L-TE) die on him. He has since swapped in the 3.4L V-6 from early Tacoma pickups and has much more power now, though worse fuel mileage.

You say the rig is from Europe and "has no rust." I find this hard to believe on a 28 year old vehicle. I would inspect it very thoroughly for body repairs (Bondo, fiberglass, etc.) Be aware that these rigs typically have bad rust inside the wind shield frames.

Good luck!

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom