LJ70 Coil Spring Shocks, do I need to remove the coils? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for multiple posts but wanted to keep them straight. While reading through the service manual there is no section on changing shocks only. The only service procedures are removing and replacing both shocks and coils. Is there a reason the coils need to come out to change the shocks?. Maybe it will be obvious once I crawl under the LJ but its in cold garage and trying to line up my tools before I go to the trouble of heating it up.

Thanks

The rear shocks can be changed without messing with the springs, but the front shocks are inside the coils, so you’ll need a spring compressor to remove the springs to get at them. Spring compressors can usually be rented from auto parts stores for cheap. A few years ago I replaced the shocks in my first Prado and posted some photos of the process, they’re in the link in my signature, near the end of the thread.

The rear shocks can be changed without messing with the springs, but the front shocks are inside the coils, so you’ll need a spring compressor to remove the springs to get at them. Spring compressors can usually be rented from auto parts stores for cheap. A few years ago I replaced the shocks in my first Prado and posted some photos of the process, they’re in the link in my signature, near the end of the thread.

Actually, I recently learned (after trying my 3rd set of suspension parts since I bought my truck - I'm a slow learner :bang:) that coil spring compressors are not needed for front or back.

Here is the trick. Loosen off the bolts that hold the radius arms to the frame. Then undo the lower shock mounts. Jack the truck WAY up, remove the wheels, and put the frame on axle stands. let the axle hang free - it will drop right down. Push down on one end of the axle, and the spring will come right out. Also compress the shocks by hand so you can get them out at the same time.

That method works well even for tall lift springs.

Be sure to tighten the radius arm bolts again (check factory torque spec) when the truck is settled level on the ground again.

EDIT: I don't run sway bars. If you have sway bars my procedure above probably won't work. But the sway bars are way easier to remove than messing with a coil spring compressor IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom