LJ 70 - Common Service items to check on a newly purchased LJ ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new LJ-70 is a 2LT European Version (LJ70LV-MEXM). its got 243 K on it. No service records. I am going through it slowly to fix minor issues and replace various service items. It came off an auction and was obviously externally reconned to look nice at a distance but when I look underneath it was definitely a quick cosmetic recon. It does start and run well but I haven't inspected it so haven't done any higher speed drives with it yet. The battery tray was long gone so the battery was held up by baling wire. The body and frame looks rust free. I posted a question about flare separately.

So far I have replaced, the belts (they were cracked and ancient), hoses, timing belt, water pump (leaky bearing), timing belt idler pulleys, flushed and filled the antifreeze, changed the oil and filter, changed the fuel filter. I plan to replace the transmission fluid with GL4 synthetic and the front and rear diff fluids with synthetic GL5. I will be going through the greasing instructions in the owners manual copy I downloaded from this site at one point. The suspension components feel tight but the shocks are bit "floaty". The brake and clutch fluid looks new but will probably flush the systems.

I do need to chase down the cooling system temperature as the gage is not functioning and a non functioning horn once I find the horn relay. The engine runs cool, when I was flushing it I had flow through the heater but it wasn't very hot. my guess is it came from a southern climate and the thermostat was pulled at one point. The cooling system looked fairly clean and the radiator didn't have lot of sediment in it.

The rear sliding windows are glued shut with evidence of rusty frames. It looks like its a flat opening and I may just pop the frames and have them replaced by fixed glass. Door hinges seem to be tight.

So what other things should I check or replace before going road worthy?

Check the suspension bushes, especially the rear axle ones.

The rear side window frames on my LJ71 are stainless steel, The glass actually has a slight curve. I just fixed some rust in the body under one of mine likely caused by the drain holes along the bottom being blocked, so it would definitely be worth pulling out those windows to check the body around them & clean them up. Mine were just held in by the rubber surround, no sealant, so some careful levering & a bunch of small MDF wedges got it out & the string trick got it back in.

Cheers
Clint

If it was me, I would be doing the timing belt and tensioner.
I’m not 100% sure if the interval is 100 or 150k, but since you’re not sure of it’s history I would do it.
The L engines do crack heads if they overheat, the 3L non turbo as well. So I would make absolutely sure that the cooling system is 100% and that you’re running the red Toyota coolant.
I do believe running without a thermostat could actually cause more damage, so I would be sourcing one if it was me.
I’m sure others with more experience will chime in and correct anything erroneous I might have said.

Hello,

Check brake hoses and cylinders and replace as necessary.

After driving at over 80 km/h or 2200 rpm for a long period (over two hours) leave the engine running at idle for a few minutes to allow it to cool down. Otherwise you risk head failure.

Welcome to the madness.

Juan

Yup, I put in the Toyota red coolant. I have thermostat and sensor coming Monday. There was no question that I was putting in a timing belt. I did have an issue that the timing marks seem to vary in location on various 2LT engines but managed to get things lined up. I am definitely jacking up ever corner with the wheel off and taking a good look at components once I wash off the clay that its jammed in every crevice. I was hoping to get some input on the fender flares on my other thread but looks like I may have to go it alone on that one.

Add Water Wetter to your coolant.

My rear diff was a limited slip, so the diff fluid was different than the front.

Any decal or remnant of a LSD decal on the rear diff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom