Lincoln Welder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wxm

Threads
I have a chance to buy a Lincoln AC 225 Welder for a pretty good price. Will you consider it as a good entry level welder? (I've never tried welding before, just want to get a decent entry level welder to play around). My main concern is that it is 220V input AC. I would also need a powerful transformer as I only have 110 power source in my garage. Shall I call off?

Last edited:
well from the little info I have taken from your post I would say no.
For you it is sounding like a little 110V wire feed is a better option.

ken

what price?

If it requires 220 and you have 110, don't buy it.

If you have 220, like a dryer circuit, and can use it to run the welder, then buy it if the price it right.

What is it exactly? Wirefeed mig, vs tombstone buzz box.

Edit--It's just a stick welder. I'd pass unless it is stupid cheap. There is one on ebay right now for $100. Interestingly, there is also a Linclon TIG 225. So which one are you looking at? WIthout 220 power, you seriously should pass.

It is the AC 225 (not TIG 225). The asking price is $125.

I guess I will pass. Thanks again for the info...

Do you have an electric dryer or water heater in your garage? The wife will love it when you unplug the hot water heater to weld and forget to plug it back in.

If so you can re-wire the the plug and plug in there. This is a stick MMA (buzz box) type welder and they will last for a LONG time. $125 is a good price, they are 300-350 new I think.

The other guys are right. If you know nothing about how to get 220vac, a 110vac unit might be a better choice.

If you think about revisiting this unit, PM me a phone number and I will give you a call. I can tell you what you need to do. You will also need to hit the local welding shop for some 6013 rods if you want to practice on some steel and get started. You will also need a helmet, gloves, cleanup tools and make sure you dress properly.

I use MIG and TIG mostly, but for fast, simple, cheap, the stick is great (after a little cleanup). I'm making a new welding cart now and I am using my arc welder so I do not waste my gas and it is quicker.

If you were in South East Florida, I have a Millermatic 130 (110vac MIG) on craigslist. But trust me, you can not afford to ship it.

Last edited:
How much would it cost you to run the 220 into your garage?
That is what I did.
If you start welding and get IN TO IT, youll probably need it.
I learned on a 110 Lincoln mig I borrowed.
Got a lincoln ad/dc stick (like the one youre describing)
then got a Hobart 187
just added a 220 plasma cutter to the mix.

It was well worth the 120 bucks to have a sparky come and wire in the 220 into the garage.

Im thinking about having another added so I dont have to constantly have to switch plugs all the time.

With all that being said...the easiest form to learn on (IMO) is a wire feed. Stick (I have found) is really tough to get good at in all positions.
SOOOO, Id pass on the stick and look for a mig to get you up and running quicker.
It took me about a good 3 mos before I felt comfortable enough to actually do work on my rig.

Either way you go...it will be the BEST SKILL to learn. Its like having a super power or something. Suddenly, the projects that you were saving up to pay for others to do, are now within your reach and saving you THOUSANDS.
Plus, youll be making a TON of new friends who are asking you to weld their junk.:D Its a great way to get free beer.

If I get to weld...Im happy. I just LOVE IT!

Chicago

Super power amigo???

:lol:

I have told the seller that I'd pass. Thanks guys for the advise, I will continue my search. Thanks for the offer likewelders, I'd like to try local first...

:princess:

Super power amigo???

:lol:
Super power indeed! I too scoffed until I saw Chicago's Wonder Woman welding helmet...it's fabulous.

Super power indeed! I too scoffed until I saw Chicago's Wonder Woman welding helmet...it's fabulous.

AAAAAAAH, but its the bullet proof BRACELETS and the bikini that really make it all FLY!:D

:flipoff2:

Someday I will have super powers too!:bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom