limited slip in a FZJ 80 rear diff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at putting a limited slip in a FZJ 80 rear diff?

291-35 Powertrax no slips $400 ea. Richmond #9220883005 will fit 69-89 cruiser front 69-97 cruiser rear

Will this cause any problems with the AWD system?

Will it add traction control in mud?

Why would you choose to go with an LSD instead of full lockers? (OEM or ARB)

A rear Aussie locker is only $270...

The Powertrax No Slip IS a full lunchbox locker. Its apparently very smooth though.

So, are we saying that its ok to have a full time locker in the rear diff of an FZJ80?

Aussie?
Detroit?
loc right?
ARB?

I've wheeled with a local guy that has an Aussie. He does great. As far as I know it's fine on the road as well.

I've also wheeled the Aussie in the rear in a previous 80 we owned. The click-click on the slickrock in Moab was the only complaint the wife had. I loved it. Engaged when needed automatically and was disengaged automatically when not needed. Nothing could go wrong. Never heard of anyone using the powertrax yet.

The powertrax no slip is not to be confused with "limited slip". They are a locker, similer to the "lock right" but they add a hold out ring to provide smoother opertation. They are smoother than a typical mechanical locker, but not as smooth as an LSD or open diff. If your primary intent is traction for offroad use, and you can put up with some harshness, clicking/popping than mechanical lockers are great.
For the LC rear diff we stock many choices.
ARB air locker, Detroit locker, powertrax no slip, Lockright, Mini-spool, Clutch style LSD units, Auburn LSD units,
Not any one traction device is best for everyone. All have their pros/cons, whether it be strength, cost, traction, onroad characteristics, etc.
For example, in my 100 series daily driver I run ARB front and factory elocker rear. In my 85 toyota pickup that doesnt, see too many miles, I will likely run a spool in the rear as they are bullet-proof and inexpensive.

I am looking at putting a limited slip in a FZJ 80 rear diff?

291-35 Powertrax no slips $400 ea. Richmond #9220883005 will fit 69-89 cruiser front 69-97 cruiser rear

Will this cause any problems with the AWD system?

Will it add traction control in mud?

18k on my aussie locker...tow strap is pretty lonely :)

So for the least amount of $$ a Aussie locker in the rear diff of a FZJ80 would be the best option for improved traction in mud and dirt road use....while maintaining street and highway integratity.

Correct?

And what's your feedback regarding the Auburn ( not that mine gived me any problem yet, but would like to know what to expect from it) ?

The powertrax no slip is not to be confused with "limited slip". They are a locker, similer to the "lock right" but they add a hold out ring to provide smoother opertation. They are smoother than a typical mechanical locker, but not as smooth as an LSD or open diff. If your primary intent is traction for offroad use, and you can put up with some harshness, clicking/popping than mechanical lockers are great.
For the LC rear diff we stock many choices.
ARB air locker, Detroit locker, powertrax no slip, Lockright, Mini-spool, Clutch style LSD units, Auburn LSD units,
Not any one traction device is best for everyone. All have their pros/cons, whether it be strength, cost, traction, onroad characteristics, etc.
For example, in my 100 series daily driver I run ARB front and factory elocker rear. In my 85 toyota pickup that doesnt, see too many miles, I will likely run a spool in the rear as they are bullet-proof and inexpensive.

So for the least amount of $$ a Aussie locker in the rear diff of a FZJ80 would be the best option for improved traction in mud and dirt road use....while maintaining street and highway integratity.

Correct?

If you're willing to undertake the install yourself, the Aussie Locker is just about the best bang for your buck in terms of adding a rear locker to an 80-series (other than buying your 80 already equipped from the factory with selectable lockers :D).

I've been running an Aussie Locker in the rear axle of my daily driver 80 for a couple years now. I have no complaints, and it ALWAYS works when needed.

It's hard NOT to recommend a <$300 system that will give you locked-axle traction but still leave you with totally acceptable road manners.

Highly recommended.

I'm not so sure I would say "maintaining street integrety".

Correct?

auburn

The Auburn lsd works great and are very durable. They also have much smoother on road characteristics. For the full float rear we also offer the Japanese clutch style units which I would say are a little bit better performance wise than the auburn. This is comparing lsd to lsd.

Lockers are not lsd's and will give 100% traction to both tires when on the throttle, they are mechanical and have toothed couplers that engage/disengage, this is why they are more harsh, and tend to click / pop on ocasion and increase driveshaft slack. These characteristics are fine, if you can put up with them. Its kind of like mud tires work better offroad, but they are noisy on road. Some people think its worth the trade off but not all.

And what's your feedback regarding the Auburn ( not that mine gived me any problem yet, but would like to know what to expect from it) ?

The Auburn lsd works great and are very durable. They also have much smoother on road characteristics. For the full float rear we also offer the Japanese clutch style units which I would say are a little bit better performance wise than the auburn. This is comparing lsd to lsd.

Lockers are not lsd's and will give 100% traction to both tires when on the throttle, they are mechanical and have toothed couplers that engage/disengage, this is why they are more harsh, and tend to click / pop on ocasion and increase driveshaft slack. These characteristics are fine, if you can put up with them. Its kind of like mud tires work better offroad, but they are noisy on road. Some people think its worth the trade off but not all.
Is the Japan clutch style unit is the same as the one in 2005+ Tacoma TRD Sport ?
Those are great because they are LSD but with ability to force a wheel to never spin slower then the drive shaft. hence work almost like a locker but provide wheel speed difference.

Correct?

somewhat true, but for the absolute rock bottom cheapest way out, you can weld it with a welder. i know it's the :hillbilly: way out, but it does work. But it's permanently locked then.

as for LSD, i prefer the gel tabs.....wait, i mean..... Yea, i have wheeled with a few guys that had LSD's in the rear. If you can master the two foot pedal play, you will do fine with an LSD

somewhat true, but for the absolute rock bottom cheapest way out, you can weld it with a welder. i know it's the :hillbilly: way out, but it does work. But it's permanently locked then.

as for LSD, i prefer the gel tabs.....wait, i mean..... Yea, i have wheeled with a few guys that had LSD's in the rear. If you can master the two foot pedal play, you will do fine with an LSD

I want to come wheeling with you Concrete, except I prefer the window panes. :grinpimp:

It sounds like an Aussie locker isn't a bad rout for us lockerless folk. Any idea how many :banana:to do the job? Is it comparable to a full ring/pinion install or slightly easier?

Should be much easier than a full regear. I did it on a Saturday.

Yep, your explanation match exactly what has been my experience with mine after years of use but not abuse.

I am only aware of it when I reverse in my parking space and feel barely a little ratcheting, but the rest of the time is like I don't have anything, of course a hard aceleration on a wet road could made spin both my rear tires and side slip my cruiser.

I look at it as a traction aid, so maybe in the future I will put a serious on demand front locker because my cruiser is not the AWD version, and I will enjoy a nice ride until I arrive to the offroad part of my trip.

I don't care what others blindly believe but I haven't found yet the perfect and 100% reliable locker which would make me confident as to lend my cruiser to any of my non mechanic family members for a long off road trip :crybaby:

I'm not so sure I would say "maintaining street integrety".

I am referring to "drivablity" meaning with the aussie locker installed how does it handle on dry pavement? clicks? chirps? binds? or nothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom