Limb risers recommendations for ‘21 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for limb risers options for my ‘21 Land Cruiser 200 series. I have an ARB front bumper with bull bar and a roof rack. I also have side shooter ditch lights on both sides mounted on the hood hinges. I am looking for some rugged limb risers that won’t interfere with my ditch lights. Thanks!

Honestly. Just make your own. Your going to be drilling holes into your bar and roof rack. It’s very simple. The most important thing is to make tight sleeve with solid bungs to keep the water out of the tubes. It shouldn’t cost more than $75 and a 6 pack on Sunday morning. There are plenty of videos. Just use some tape and strings for the layout before you commit to drilling holes

I talked to a bunch of people about these, after seeing them on so many vehicles, and was told that they are pretty useless, so I dropped it.

I'd home-brew them if I was going to do it. It's a lot like sailboat rigging.

If it's an interesting data point, here are all of the worst rub marks on my truck. Limb risers wouldn't do anything in my case. There's no avoiding the width :p

IMG_1995.png

IMG_1996.png
IMG_1998.png
IMG_1999.jpg

I am looking for limb risers options for my ‘21 Land Cruiser 200 series. I have an ARB front bumper with bull bar and a roof rack. I also have side shooter ditch lights on both sides mounted on the hood hinges. I am looking for some rugged limb risers that won’t interfere with my ditch lights. Thanks!

I ran them on my 80 years ago for wheeling here in the East, took them off when I started wheeling Moab etc. and never put them back on. I found they weren’t very effective in this area, seemed every limb was just long enough to catch the side of my truck and mirrors and too short for the limb riser to be effective, I think they would be more effective in a jungle and softer vegetation.

Being said, they were a simple black vinyl coated cable with one end wrapped around the front corner of the bull bar, the end ran through a loop, the other end a turnbuckle attached to a light bracket on a roof rack.

If I were to run them again, I would run a second cable a little farther outboard and to an antenna/light style mount in the tolerance between the hood and fender about 1/2 way or 2/3 of the way from the front to catch limbs that are just long enough to get under the first cable.

Good luck, good to hear you are wheeling the 21’, a better investment might be clear wrap on the sides!

400x1 though!

Hah. Chased that hobby pretty hard but started having knee issues north of 435 once I turned 40. These days I move for longevity.

That story is for another thread. Sorry OP.

What is the plug inlet for - the one at the bottom rear of the rear passenger side quarter panel?
Battery minder? Solar?

Battery tender for lithium house battery

I ran them on my 80 years ago for wheeling here in the East, took them off when I started wheeling Moab etc. and never put them back on. I found they weren’t very effective in this area, seemed every limb was just long enough to catch the side of my truck and mirrors and too short for the limb riser to be effective, I think they would be more effective in a jungle and softer vegetation.

Being said, they were a simple black vinyl coated cable with one end wrapped around the front corner of the bull bar, the end ran through a loop, the other end a turnbuckle attached to a light bracket on a roof rack.

If I were to run them again, I would run a second cable a little farther outboard and to an antenna/light style mount in the tolerance between the hood and fender about 1/2 way or 2/3 of the way from the front to catch limbs that are just long enough to get under the first cable.

Good luck, good to hear you are wheeling the 21’, a better investment might be clear wrap on the sides!
PPF would be the only hope of these scratches not making it to the paint overall. You'll have breakthrough for sure as XPEL, STEK, etc haven't got an off road variant (last I checked), but their stuff is pretty stout.

Or, I could be waaaaay off base and you'd end up with shredded film hanging off your rig riding home looking like a mardi gras parade float.

If it's an interesting data point, here are all of the worst rub marks on my truck. Limb risers wouldn't do anything in my case. There's no avoiding the width :p

View attachment 3278058
View attachment 3278060View attachment 3278061View attachment 3278062
Limb risers are not for preventing pin striping. They are to keep large branches from crashing thru your windscreen. And potentially killing you. The big stuff. They are a deflector and they work. But unless you are blazing your own trails or traveling a very overgrown trail they are useless. Except to hang some prayer flags from or dry a towel. They also give douche points like a snorkel on a buggy parked at the mall that never sees a dirt road. 🤓

I don’t mean to derail the thread but I’m unclear on the purpose of limb risers? I had to google them to see what they were but I’m not sure what their purpose is? Are they meant to deflect branches that are across the road, above the hood and below the roof line or are they to deflect a falling branch as you’re driving?

Yes. That is exactly it. Deflect a large branch that is at the hood line to the top that comes across the trail while driving

Not falling branches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom