Lights and internet suppliers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Turns out I've been getting out more at night that I am druing the day and the stock headlights on the 60 offer enough light for fire trails... but much more than that and I'd like to be able to see a little better. Found a pair of PIAA lights (wiring hardware included) for around $250. Others were much more expensive. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend but I only want to buy once. Any advice?

Question #2: Internet suppliers
Man-a-free has treated me pretty well thus far. haven't spent much money there but like some of the prices they have qouted me.
SOR screwed me charging me $20 for 5-day ground shipping of my haynes manual.

Who are you guys using for parts/outfitting/etc?

Thanks for the advice
Chris

lights are not cruiser specific, look around at the big jeep etc warehouses for cheaper prices. your local 4wheelparts will match any internet or published price on anything they carry....

I understand that they're not cruiser specific... but why do the hella lights cost so damn much? are they actually worth it? At harbor freight I can buy a pair of "auxilary automotive floodlights" for $50. Whats the difference?

(see above questiong about internet suppliers)
Chris

Search here then e bay

Paranoid, thanks for the website. I must have been missing something cause I was having trouble finding the hella lights for less than $120 a peice!
I'm ordering a pair of the 530s tonight.

Chris

Chris,

They also have special price going on with the 1000FF kit for around $89; might wanna consider that.

I assume that you are looking for auxilliary driving lights to augment your "stock FJ60 headlights?

I would first upgrade the headlights with Hella H4s or similar - see the FAQ at the top of this for this discussion. This will make a HUGE difference by itself.

I also installed a set of Hella 500s and upgraded the bulbs to 130 watts. Total cost about $75, and the switch & relay were included. This is a very workable set up and takes only an hour or two to install. Hella has good phone support if you have questions, which is good because their their install instructions are marginal.

Mike S

My best friend has 2 Hella 500s on his Rangie, and I know he is very happy with them, but Mike, have you had any problems with the 130 watt bulbs? As I recall, his out-of-the-box 500s get really, really hot, I can't believe going to 130w wouldn't melt something! Also, will the switch and relay support the higher wattage bulbs, or does he have to upgrade those?.
I have a set of IPF fogs on the front of my 62, which are nice and bright, but with the yellow tint, not very good for driving in the woods. Have been thinking of 2 more Hellas for some long distance brightness, and so the 130 bulb questions would be of interest to me also.
larry

Lzwo said:
...but Mike, have you had any problems with the 130 watt bulbs? As I recall, his out-of-the-box 500s get really, really hot, I can't believe going to 130w wouldn't melt something! Also, will the switch and relay support the higher wattage bulbs, or does he have to upgrade those?. larry

I have had no problems during the limited use I have put them to since installing the 130 watt bulbs. They get hot. I would be wise to turn them off before a water crossing :)

There was no problem with the switch, since the switch just trips the relay. The relay has no problem either. It's not all that many amps.

The cost of the 130 wat bulbs is less than $10 IIRC. Try it for yourself and see, you can always switch back to the standard bulb no sweat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom