Lighting modifications, trailer harness and power outlet... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Just received a 1991 PZJ77 and I'm in the process of making a few modifications to the exterior lights in order to pass inspection. I intend to convert the two white lights located under the front flashers into DRLs and add a required third brake light somewhere above the spare wheel.

I've found some schematics for my year/model but they don't always seem to correspond to reality. For instance on my truck the white lights under the flashers behave like parking/position lamps but the documentation describes them as cornering lamps and they are actuated simultaneously with the flashers. I've found an empty 5 pin female connector behind the passenger headlight which has an ignition signal which I intend to use instead so the lights are on as soon as the key is turned. Any thoughts or alternatives to this idea? I'd rather not add new lights and prefer reusing what is already in place.

For the third brake light I was hoping to install a home made extension plate from the spare wheel carrier onto which I'd attach a 24V sealed LED stop light. My intention was to then hook this light to an exterior trailer harness but there is none to be found... From reading around on this forum I gather there is no standard trailer harness on these vehicles and most people end up splicing into the existing wiring. I did however find a bundle of wires which were cut and taped over right behind the rear cross member. The gauges and colors vary from any trailer harness I've seen: two blues, two greens, one white and one red. I've taken readings on all wires with the key in/out, brake on/off, flashers on/off etc. and only the white wire seems to be connected to ground. Is the usual location for this splicing directly at the tail light behind the driver side panel or is there another more convenient exterior location?

Finally I noticed a little box named Power Outlet next to the air filter which contains some screw terminals and fuses one of which is an ignition signal which I could also use to power the DRLs. I'm wondering however how people usually tap into this as there is no bulkhead connector allowing wires through the cover?

Thanks!

That empty 5-pin connector looks like the headlight washer relay plug. Also, on the power outlet box there is an opening on the underside of the box that wires can be snaked through and up into the box. Be sure to pull the wires before putting a terminal on them though, cause the hole is pretty small.

Beautifully clean engine bay, btw!

I have purchased OEM wiring plugs from a guy in Japan...he sells motorcycle stuff but also sells plugs made by the same folks Toyota bought from: Sumitomo most of the time. I made my own plug-in trailer light harness with stuff from Eastern beaver.
The place for all your motorcycle electric needs.

That empty 5-pin connector looks like the headlight washer relay plug. Also, on the power outlet box there is an opening on the underside of the box that wires can be snaked through and up into the box. Be sure to pull the wires before putting a terminal on them though, cause the hole is pretty small.

Beautifully clean engine bay, btw!

Thanks!

I think I'll use that power outlet for engine bay LEDs and use the 5 pin connector to power my DRLs.

I have purchased OEM wiring plugs from a guy in Japan...he sells motorcycle stuff but also sells plugs made by the same folks Toyota bought from: Sumitomo most of the time. I made my own plug-in trailer light harness with stuff from Eastern beaver.
The place for all your motorcycle electric needs.

I've seen a post somewhere in this forum containing a list of part numbers for all these connectors. Once I find it (again) I'll cross reference with the parts on this site. I'd like to make two short in-line harnesses using the appropriate male-female connectors instead of splicing.

Thanks!

I've seen a post somewhere in this forum containing a list of part numbers for all these connectors. Once I find it (again) I'll cross reference with the parts on this site. I'd like to make two short in-line harnesses using the appropriate male-female connectors instead of splicing.

Thanks!
If you find the list could you post a link to it here? I’d love to see it.

Usually the Sumitomo Unsealed (not sealed) connectors are the right ones.
Connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom