light your fire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark W said:
I understand that some people are spending their "outdoors time" in a very different environment than I do. So I can accept that there are places where wood ashes get treated like something unnatural and get hauled out. Same for human excretement I guess. But I gotta ask.... How do you use the same five gallon bucket for both? Sounds nasty and unpleasant. :(

Not to mention that sooner or later the bucket has to be cleaned or disposed of somehow.

?????????

Mark...

The idea here is that you crap in a bag in the bucket then you tie it off and remove it fromt the bucket prior to filling the bucket with ash.

I hope it is anyway... Cammy?

cruiserdan said:
5 gallons of gas and a Zippo?

:flipoff2:

LOL! When I was in scouts we used to refer to charcoal lighter fluid as boy scout water!

We allow our kids 3 matches and NO paper to start a fire for one of their rank advancement requirements. Dry, fine kindling is an absolute key!

Brentbba said:
LOL! When I was in scouts we used to refer to charcoal lighter fluid as boy scout water!

We allow our kids 3 matches and NO paper to start a fire for one of their rank advancement requirements. Dry, fine kindling is an absolute key!

What a bunch of :princess: you guys are training.

We don't allow any matches; they rub 2 sticks together and both the wood and kindling have to be wet. We teach them to be prepared.

Your troop sounds more like girl scouts. :D

-B-

BMAN said:
The idea here is that you crap in a bag in the bucket then you tie it off and remove it fromt the bucket prior to filling the bucket with ash.

I hope it is anyway... Cammy?

DING DING DING!! You can buy bucket liners or use garbage bags. Nothing worse than the piles of T.P. scattered along our trails. A little pee mixed in is O.K. but one should avoid turds as they tend to stain the bucket and are not really meant for composting. A little water in the bucket throw ashes in bucket, add to yard and garden waste at home.
The ashes are carried out because here in CA (and other states) if you are the one that starts the forest fire you can be held liable for the cost of extiguishment. How many wildfires are attributed to a campfire that was not properly extinguished? Not that I'm a tree hugger or anything but I like to leave it like I found it.

e9999 said:
oooo, steel and a battery!
details please!

anything with gunpowder, anybody?

Black powder works better than smokeless. Pour SMALL pile on top of paper or on wood. build the classic Tee Pee of tinder material. use match to ignite or use steel wool and 9 volt battery.
Apply ice to facial burns and seek medical attention. Eye brows removed instantly which makes for campsite fashion statement. Add nails to pile of gun powder if piercing is desired. Piercings may be applied in random fashion.:D :D

Cammy said:
If you carry a coleman propane lantern while camping here is a cool idea for helping to start your camp fire.

Go to your local hardware store and ask if they have a self ignighting torch kit for propane bottles. These are pizoelectric ignition tourch heads that will fit the top of your small colman gas bottles. Makes fire starting a breeze! no more flamable liquids or fuel log shavings.

Please be careful with your camp fires and always be sure to properly extighuish your fire. My family and I carry a 5 gal bucket to carry our ashes out. Doubles as a toilet.

What if you only have one cylinder and its dark:crybaby: :crybaby: :D

Beowulf said:
What a bunch of :princess: you guys are training.

We don't allow any matches; they rub 2 sticks together and both the wood and kindling have to be wet. We teach them to be prepared.

Your troop sounds more like girl scouts. :D

-B-

Meanie! :eek:

Gee - you guys don't carry your ten essentials then? IIRC one of them is waterproof matches. Then there's the all important 11th essential.........TP! :flipoff2:

Cammy said:
DING DING DING!! You can buy bucket liners or use garbage bags. Nothing worse than the piles of T.P. scattered along our trails. A little pee mixed in is O.K. but one should avoid turds as they tend to stain the bucket and are not really meant for composting. A little water in the bucket throw ashes in bucket, add to yard and garden waste at home.
The ashes are carried out because here in CA (and other states) if you are the one that starts the forest fire you can be held liable for the cost of extiguishment. How many wildfires are attributed to a campfire that was not properly extinguished? Not that I'm a tree hugger or anything but I like to leave it like I found it.

A garden trowel, and cat holes solves the mess along the trails problem. Been doing this for years. If we're pitching a family camp in one location for a while we sometimes bring a popup "shower tent". Dig a hole underneath, use a five gallon bucket with no bottom in it and a snap on seat. A plastic bag with the bottom cut out for a liner to keep it clean. When you break camp fill the hole back in. "Biodegradable TP" breaks down quicker than regular store stuff once you bury it too. Lots less work and mess than carrying bags of crap home.
Pour water over your camp fire ashes and rake them around. Pretty easy to be sure they are all out. Leaving the ashes in the area that the wood originated from is better from an environmental aspect and it's also a lot less work and mess than carrying it out.

If hauling the "leftovers" home works for you then no complaints from me. I just think that my way is better. ;)

Totally aside from this discussion, I'm pretty sure that despite the media attention, far more wildfires are started by lightening strikes than by campfires. Up here we have hundreds of fires a year from lightening. Wildfires that are attributable to campfires are almost always going to be from careless or irresponsible people who simply walked away from a buring fire and/or didn't think abut where they sited it. If you care enough to put it out and (know enough not to build in on a dry peat bed), then you won't have need to fear starting a wildfire.

Mark...

Last edited:
Thanks Mark for being one of the few that care enough to "cover" their tracks. Never cared about carrying the poop bags home. I always drop them from overpasses. kidding

I agree that lightning causes more fires than careless campers however, you still have idiots.

stayalert said:
What if you only have one cylinder and its dark:crybaby: :crybaby: :D

You have to prioritize at that point. Light the lantern to find the igniter, quickly unscrew the lantern and screw the igniter on to the bottle before the lantern goes out. No need to worry about explosion the bottle has a one way check valve.

Cammy said:
You have to prioritize at that point. Light the lantern to find the igniter, quickly unscrew the lantern and screw the igniter on to the bottle before the lantern goes out. No need to worry about explosion the bottle has a one way check valve.

too risky....explosions? no worries DARK man we're talking about the DARK here!!!!:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

um?:doh: was that out loud?

Ya think maybe a flashlight would help? :rolleyes:

-B-

Beowulf said:
Ya think maybe a flashlight would help? :rolleyes:

-B-

Is a flashlight on the ten essentials list? :flipoff2:

WTF?

I always have extra fuel on board...

Build pile of wood.
Pour on a cup or so of extra fuel.
Light a piece of toilet paper with your lighter.
regrow your eyebrows.

Tigerstripe40 said:
WTF?

I always have extra fuel on board...

Build pile of wood.
Pour on a cup or so of extra fuel.
Light a piece of toilet paper with your lighter.
regrow your eyebrows.

Diesel? :rolleyes:

When you absolutely, positively need a fire lit...

Use road flares. They are better than gasoline, starter bocks, pitch pine shavings, or napalm. They will light ANYTHING on fire.

Mike

some folks get a 20lbs propane tank, and adapter and refill all their little coleman bottles.

added: Public Safety Announcement: may not be safe to do or transport - not recommended!

Last edited:
I would not say that too loud. It is illegal to transport re-filled disposible propane cylinders.

cruiserdan said:
I would not say that too loud. It is illegal to transport re-filled disposible propane cylinders.

I'm sure these folks only take them along when they walk someplace...
but added a public safety announcement anyway...

That's what I heard...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom