Light clicking/clunking sound. CV joint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
Did some searching and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

My 100 just developed a faint clunking when making a gradual right turn down the road. It only does it when the steering wheel is clocked at a certain point, not when making a hard right turn.

Would you guys also think that a CV axle replacement is in order? I am pretty certain that it isn't brakes, low diff oil, tires out of balance, loose driveshaft flange bolts, etc., as I stay on top of that sort of stuff.

It only does it when the steering wheel is clocked at a certain point, not when making a hard right turn.
Where do hear and/or feel the clunk coming from? Based on the above, I would jack up the front end and check the inner tie rod ends (inside the boots on the steering rack) for play first.

My 100 just developed a faint clunking when making a gradual right turn down the road. It only does it when the steering wheel is clocked at a certain point, not when making a hard right turn.

Would you guys also think that a CV axle replacement is in order? I am pretty certain that it isn't brakes, low diff oil, tires out of balance, loose driveshaft flange bolts, etc., as I stay on top of that sort of stuff.
I am having the same issue. I have experienced clunking in the past from having sway bar links that are improperly torqued. (Links must be looser when the truck is raised and then torqued down once on the ground). I would assume yours is from an issue with the CV though. I will let you know if I fix the issue when I replace my CV here in the next couple weeks.

Where do hear and/or feel the clunk coming from? Based on the above, I would jack up the front end and check the inner tie rod ends (inside the boots on the steering rack) for play first.
Good point.

Definitely feels like it’s in the front end somewhere. I need to drive it a little more.

I have a similar sound in mine and it is coming from the front driveshaft. I can see it move each time I shift into or out of R or D. The question is whether it is a problem in the front differential or the transmission?

Any ideas on what to check next?

I have a similar sound in mine and it is coming from the front driveshaft. I can see it move each time I shift into or out of R or D. The question is whether it is a problem in the front differential or the transmission?

Any ideas on what to check next?
Rotational movement? That’s normal.

Just replaced my CV today and it fixed the clicking. I would check for any grease coming out of the cv at all and then if no grease you could take off the axle hub cap and flange and check the splines to see if there is wear. Read in a couple places where the splines are worn and there is some play or even the axle skipping splines. Either of these would cause the clicking noise I believe.

This is weird but just putting it out there: I had a weird constant clicking/grinding that I thought was a CV joint but turned out to be (I think) a failing lug nut. Problem disappeared when I swapped wheels.

I think it would be weird to be a CV in the middle of a turn, no? Usually they click at full lock.

Another thing to check is the splash shield flap in the front wheel well. I thought i needed a new CV but it turned out to be a saggy flap hitting the tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom