Lift when removing the drive shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to replace the U-Joints this weekend. Do you need to lift the truck by the frame before removing the drive shaft?

You may find you need some room to swing a torque wrench, especially on the rear drive shaft.

I simply yanked the belly pans, set the ACH to the high setting and accessed everything w/o issues.

Steve

my rear driveshaft was on TIGHT....so having it on a lift was easier than doing in driveway but if you can get an impact wrench on it then no issues.

Might have to bang or pry on it a little to get it off at the flange once nuts are removed but should be fairly easy....

Thanks for the confirmations.

I'm curious how many miles you have on your truck? Have the u-joints been neglected?

I'm curious how many miles you have on your truck? Have the u-joints been neglected?

It's got ~127k miles. They've been regularly maintained and greased (as long as I've owned it...but can't say the same for the previous owner) but noticed vibration under acceleration... you can actually feel the vibration under the feet when accelerating. It's only when accelerating and when going over ~70 mph otherwise very smooth.

From what I can tell, most cruisers have a slight vibration at around 2400 RPMs through the driver floor..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom