Lift comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be installing a lift on my FJ soon and was wondering what you think about a Pro comp lift compared to others. I used to own an 80 with an ARB 2.5 heavy set up and it did very nicely all around. The 80 was a bit heavier and I would like to avoid the $1000 price tag that comes with ARB. That being said, I also won't compromise quality. I've looked through the threads but can't find the answers that I'm looking for. Any thoughts on what works best for a 3" overland set up for the FJ? All opinions are welcome.

I am also looking for a lift and the OME heavy is my top pick so far. I just need support for the weight of future mods like front and rear bumpers, current rooftop tent and gear load. I am not looking to do technical stuff like MOAB type stuff.

I have installed probably a dozen lifts in mine and other's FJC's. It is my opinion that you get pretty much what you pay for - the higher-end systems have a better ride and more flex. But for either of your situations, you don't need an uber-expensive long-travel set-up. Any of the name brand 3" front coilovers and rear springs/shocks would do you fine, and be a huge improvement over stock. I have Icon (what would now be called "stage 1" I believe) on my truck, and ToyTec upper control arms and they have served me well. Of all the systems I have installed, the one that impressed me the most was King, but they're probably not cheap.

I have found the OME heavy to be very stiff in the front; you have to have a really heavy rig to get them to move much at all. I would recommend driving someone's truck with the heavies installed before you buy them, if ever you can.

Great info @1911 I have budgeted $3K for my suspension set up and I agree about getting what you pay for :)

I want to be able to handle weight and have a durable/reliable set up but not overkill for my use of overlanding, camping and road trips.

Are the ICON stages upgradable? If you get stage 2 can you upgrade it to stage 3 at a later time?

Sounds like ICON is one of the more popular brands/systems out there.

Great info @1911 I have budgeted $3K for my suspension set up and I agree about getting what you pay for :)

I want to be able to handle weight and have a durable/reliable set up but not overkill for my use of overlanding, camping and road trips.

Are the ICON stages upgradable? If you get stage 2 can you upgrade it to stage 3 at a later time?

That I can't say; you'd have to ask an Icon dealer that I suspect. Mine are so old, they are actually Donohoe, and they only made one model/system at that time (2007). I will say that my truck is quite heavy; steel bumpers front and back, a winch, two batteries, a compressor, steel skid plates, steel sliders, Gobi roof rack, etc., and my low-stage Icon suspension has not settled, lowered, or needed adjustment over the years.

Demello Offroad in California is a big Icon dealer and has been for a long time, you might ask them about upgrading down the road.

Ah ok. Yeah those are about all the mods I also want to have on my FJ so I want to buy a suspension that can handle all the weight first. Will do some research on those ICON.

Thanks.

Very helpful, thank you. I've read a couple of reviews on the pro comp stuff and they all mention a very stiff ride. Also, a few have mentioned having to replace parts too soon. I definitely agree with "get what you pay for". Arb offers a light/medium load option as well. The only constant weight load that I plan to have is a front winch/bumper set up and that's really only about 100-125lbs. I think I'll stick with the reliable ARB product for my basic needs.

I installed the toytec 3 inch with the boss shocks. Rides great and performs well off road. It is probably more than I will ever need. Great customer service also

Toytec also has different stiffness ratings. I was torn between OME and toytec. So far really pleased with the toytec

Toytec also has different stiffness ratings. I was torn between OME and toytec. So far really pleased with the toytec

I think ToyTec offers some of the best "bang for the buck" (value) of anything out there.

are you talking about those ProComp front shock spacers? if so, throw them out and get Bilstein 5100's or 6112's and rear spring spacers. that's the least expensive most productive combo you can get

Ah ok. Yeah those are about all the mods I also want to have on my FJ so I want to buy a suspension that can handle all the weight first. Will do some research on those ICON.

Thanks.

Icon is crap. they leak a lot, horrible customer service from what I've read and way over priced. same old song for the past decade. King and Fox are far higher quality. I recommended those who are on winning trophy trucks, not based off popularity.

Last edited:
The problem with buying parts for trophy trucks is I don't have a million dollar budget to have those folks engineer a suspension and create specialty parts specifically for my rig. Sure, those parts made for the trophy are good for exactly that, but are the parts they make for everyone else as good? If that were true, then everyone would be running STP in their engines.

If that were true, then everyone would be running STP in their engines.

I bet most younger folks don't even know what STP is. When I was a teenager, I put that stuff in everything, because my dad did - and they gave away cool stickers for free! :grinpimp:

The problem with buying parts for trophy trucks is I don't have a million dollar budget to have those folks engineer a suspension and create specialty parts specifically for my rig. Sure, those parts made for the trophy are good for exactly that, but are the parts they make for everyone else as good? If that were true, then everyone would be running STP in their engines.

you're missing my point. Icon is just as a expensive as King and Fox. OEM King's and Fox's are similar quality found on trophy trucks. Very little trophy trucks(if any) run Icon. Icons for FJ' have had a history of leaks and failures far more than Fox and King. I'm just saying just because Icon is popular doesn't mean they are the greatest and I've heard their customer service isn't that good and slow turn around time. I've heard less issues with Kings and fox over the past decade combined verses Icon. I went with King. outstanding customer service and support shops across the country if by some chance I have any issues. I don't have to box them up and ship them to King.

Good to know @NyNomad , I did not know that the ICON had a leak issue. Yeah they are popular but I prefer reliability. What I have read about King so far sounds really good. Going to read up on FOX as well.

Thanks.

yes, i know what STP is and Richard Petty!! only issues i've heard of with Fox are their 2.0 rear struts. besides that, not too many issues i've seen with King and Fox's 2.5's up front with or without remote reservoirs. which brings me to my next point. How do you drive your FJ? The purpose of the remote reservoirs: they are designed for high speed, high cycle rates using as much as the travel as possible which generates a lot of heat. The reservoir is so that the expanding shock oil has a place to go and very hard impacts to prevent oil being blown past O-rings. Very little amount of people run their FJ's (or other vehicles) hard and fast enough and long enough down desert roads and trails to really get the heat generated for the fluid expansion. Daily driving down the road which 90%+ of the time the truck is being driven is tough to justify swallowing a few grand on suspension that's designed to be on the trail 90%of the time. If i didn't live in the southwest where i actually do A LOT of high speed desert runs i would have saved myself some coin and gotten the Bilstein 6112's and left my 5100's in the back... but again, i actually do a lot of high speed desert runs and i will say, my Kings are very very scary smooth at about 70mph's :D

i'm not saying don't get Icon, i'm just saying i don't recommend them based of their history and those i know who've had them leak and break and traded them in for Kings, Fox, Bilstein, Sway Away, OME,

Trophy truck owners often put on parts that pay the most to have a sticker on the side; and any deisgn or engineering is done by the team, not the vendor. The fact that Fox or King has stickers doesn't mean they are better than anyone else; rather the opposite, they have probably have deeper pockets than others because they have higher margins on their consumer products.

I'm not arguing for or against any brand - but I do take issue with saying a brand is better because they have good marketing skills.

Marketing VS. Quality. There are far more complaints about Icons leaking then most other brands regardless of what sticker is on the shock. Marketing skills has Zero bearing on quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom