license plate lamp - single wire bulb socket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm turning up empty on google and am sure the group here can get me going. Just picked up a 73 and am fixing the horn and license plate lamp before going for inspection. The license plate lamp appears to be a single wire socket. I have power going to the socket / light. I got a new light just to rule that out. And I had another socket shown to verify, but I get the same results using the original. No light.

I can put the multimeter positive on the green wire and on the tip of the socket where the bulb sits and once I ground the multimeter I see the 12 volts going through. So it's getting power. But no light. I thought it was maybe grounded by the shell of the bulb but not sure. I wish I had a ground wire, but I don't.

What am I missing? How does these single wire sockets ground?

1646939055383.png

Many THANKS -- Dave

It's supposed to ground thru the door and hinge. Easiest fix is to run a ground off one of the mounting pegs for the lamp to the inside of the tub......follow the hot lead.

Generally speaking, they ground to the body when you install it. Seems you don't have continuity from the holder to the body. How's the hole look where you install this guy? Rusty? Like if you just ran a ground wire to the neg terminal, it will light up.

Edit: not suggesting you run a new wire, just saying that will show what I mean about the grounding.

It's supposed to ground thru the door and hinge. Easiest fix is to run a ground off one of the mounting pegs for the lamp to the inside of the tub......follow the hot lead.

Generally speaking, they ground to the body when you install it. Seems you don't have continuity from the holder to the body. How's the hole look where you install this guy? Rusty? Like if you just ran a ground wire to the neg terminal, it will light up.

Edit: not suggesting you run a new wire, just saying that will show what I mean about the grounding.

Super - thanks - bench test SUCCESS. Now I'll clean up the housing and see if I can get it grounded the proper way. The hole doesn't look good but once I clean it up I'll see if we're good and if not wire a ground.

THANKS!

Super - thanks - bench test SUCCESS. Now I'll clean up the housing and see if I can get it grounded the proper way. The hole doesn't look good but once I clean it up I'll see if we're good and if not wire a ground.

THANKS!

i have NEW Kustom Kioto LED Illumination Products Including the Single Rear TAG lamp

Polarized 100% in-house at my skumk works LAB

1646940563751.png

1646940588338.png

1646940603699.png

i have NEW Kustom Kioto LED Illumination Products Including the Single Rear TAG lamp

Polarized 100% in-house at my skumk works LAB

View attachment 2948475

View attachment 2948476

View attachment 2948477
I did get it working by wiring a ground to the bulb case. I'll keep this and may pursue once I get some basics out of the way and start more of an actual restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom