eBay LHD 40 series H55F & Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumping this up. Don't be afraid of the Buy it now price. That is only there in case some rich guy doesn't like drama. For those curious, the reserve is set at $3,300.

Good luck with your auction I'm watching it out of curiosity. Just a suggestion, so please don't be offended... you'd probably have better luck selling your 40-series top plate separately. That's the part that everyone is after. All the other stuff can be sourced relatively easily (new or used). As a package deal, shipping cost; early H55F w/B diesel input will turn some away.

Good luck with your auction I'm watching it out of curiosity. Just a suggestion, so please don't be offended... you'd probably have better luck selling your 40-series top plate separately. That's the part that everyone is after. All the other stuff can be sourced relatively easily (new or used). As a package deal, shipping cost; early H55F w/B diesel input will turn some away.

I disagree. Your not going get $3,300 for the top cover. Because it's used and input shaft for a B engine you have a very limited market for a transmission minus a cover especially when new ones are still available. Think it's hard finding someone to ship a whole transmission and transfer case try finding someone who is willing to ship one that's forty years old minus the top cover and shifter. Splitting it up benefits the buyer not the seller.

Last edited:
I disagree. Your not going get $3,300 for the top cover. Because it's used and input shaft for a B engine you have a very limited market for a transmission minus a cover especially when new ones are still available. Think it's harder finding someone to ship a whole transmission and transfer case try finding someone who is willing to ship one that's forty years old minus the top cover and shifter. Splitting it up benefits the buyer not the seller.

I think we're saying the same thing... The value is in the top cover, not in the other parts and shipping the whole thing will be some $$$. I'm not suggesting the top cover is worth $3,300 either; however, the seller would broaden the appeal if it was sold separately.

Last edited:
I think we're saying the same thing... The value is in the top cover, not in the other parts and shipping the whole thing will be some $$$$

Agree but sell the cover which is where the value is your stuck with the transmission. This isn't a cheap hobby. Depends how important it is to have the shifters in the stock location. With the help of a member in Australia currently working on getting one shipped here. Otherwise would have looked very hard at this one.

No offense taken! The top plate is definitely the most valuable part of the tranny, but removing it to sell & then adding a 60 series top plate would harm the overall value in my opinion. Suddenly you've got a tranny built for the 40 series with a mismatched 60 series top plate on it. I totally get that this transmission isn't for everyone. A lot of people just want a 5 speed & don't care about cutting their floors up. Those people won't spend the extra money for an actual 40 series H55F. But I think (hope) there are a lot of collectors out there that see the value of an original piece, designed to go with their truck.

If it helps out any potential buyers, we can sell them a 4 speed BJ46 & load the transmission in the back. Then they can just drive it home & put the transmission into their new BJ46! :)

I agree with Living in the Past that splitting it up would benefit buyers that only want a top plate for the H55F they already have, or plan to buy new. Proof of that theory would be the dozen offers we've already gotten for the top plate alone. But it doesn't necessarily help us sell a whole transmission.

Last edited:
Auction ends tomorrow morning if anyone is interested! We're pretty close to the reserve, so hopefully it will move to a new owner.

we'll all see what happens in a few hours.

This is the reason I doubt the top cover project will probably not happen. Figure if enough interest your still going to be $1,000 a copy. Add in the cost of a H55F and your already over the reserve here and still need a transfer case. Then you still have a 60 series transmission shifter and modifying a transfer shifter to match the location of the transmission. If the B input shaft was a bigger deal to switch I might see it differently.

I agree with all of you. The top plate has value. The rest is not worth much in my opinion. You can still source new h55 transmission, new split cases, and after spending $3,300.00 plus on this used setup you would still need to rebuild these units.

I'm not sure this will need to be rebuilt. That lows of miles on one from a BJ42 may very well be in good shape just because a transmission hits 100k mile doesn't automatically mean it's ready for a rebuild. A lot of areas they rust away with good drivetrain. Mine I don't have a clue of the mileage but the who picked it said the BJ42 was rusted out. Personally if buying a used H55F while rather have on from a 40 series over one from a 60 series. Because most five speed in the 40 series were mated to a B engine your going to be dealing with a input shaft. One with a the correct input shaft probably came.from a heavier 60 series. Because might will never be anywhere close to a DD used rebuilt by me is fine.

reserve not met? where are you at with the setup now?

sorry guys! We've got family visiting & hosting really hurts the free time. This is sold to a Mud member at this point. We still have to work out final details, but it looks like they'll be coming to CO soon to recover it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom