Lexus GX470 Passenger side interior rain leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a significant rainwater leak on the driver's side floorboard of my GX470 during a trip to North Carolina. It came out of nowhere as I've driven through some rain and snow but then again I spent most of the summer out west in the desert and didn't experience as much rain as I am now.

I did have the windshield replaced in January of 2021 and also have an aftermarket BajaRack roof rack on the vehicle so I'm wondering if either of these is causing the issue.

When the roof rack was installed over the summer of 2020 I did apply a generous amount of silicone to the new mounts so I don't think it's the rack causing the issue as I only noticed the leak after the new windshield was installed.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has any solutions to narrowing it down.

Any info is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

The photo below is from today (Sat., Feb., 13, 2021) after draining out the weather tech floor mat.

PXL_20210213_160556282.jpg

Maybe a sunroof drain is plugged with debris.
if you have a long enough piece of heavy wire, you can try reaming the drain from the top drain hole in the sunroof (one on each side, toward the front corners).
I did it when I noticed a small leak on the passenger side...lots of fir needles here in Western Oregon.
Debris and water eventually came out, no leaks since.

I had this happen on the passenger side. Used a trick with hedge trimmer wire(made of tough plastic) and sent it down through the sunroof drains on each side of the truck. Completely fixed my issue.

Look for the drains on the left/right most front corners of your sunroof tray.

Last edited:
I had the same water location, and it was the front sunroof drains being plugged causing the water to run down to the floorboard. Definitely take the time to check and clean the drains once a year. Snaking them with weed whacker line works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom