Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No pretty sure most Euro spec HDJ80’s had 300 mm flywheels but with Toyota there is always that “one” exception right 😉

It's 'exceptional' for sure....ha.

Contary to popular belief, a lot of FZ models came out with 275 clutches , they have a mixture of the H150 and H151 gearboxes, BUT both gearboxes had the same input shaft ( 14 spline/32 mm) again contrary to popular belief.
As I mentioned to Chris in a PM, best is to whack the Toy numbers into Google and watch for the aftermarket equivalent offerings, they are a lot better at supplying dimentions.
G

And that's what I was kind of figuring.....some of the H150s had the 14 spline shaft. I have a feeling when I get into the Troopy's clutch it's going to have a 14 spline H150....if I'm lucky, it will have a 300mm 14 spline clutch.....I have one of those in inventory. :cool:

Thanks for your help @Gengis!

FYI... Amayama shows both clutch and pressure plate available from Mr. T. they have cancelled many of my orders so don't trust that very much.

Contary to popular belief, a lot of FZ models came out with 275 clutches , they have a mixture of the H150 and H151 gearboxes, BUT both gearboxes had the same input shaft ( 14 spline/32 mm) again contrary to popular belief.
As I mentioned to Chris in a PM, best is to whack the Toy numbers into Google and watch for the aftermarket equivalent offerings, they are a lot better at supplying dimentions.
G

From my experience with Venezuelan Land Cruisers, all 70-series came with a 275-mm flywheel where the 80-series (mostly due to weight) came with the 300-mm flywheels. The can be interchanged, to the point that most 70-series owners "upgrade" to the 300-mm clutches when running 38+ tire sizes.

Just looked and the pressure plate aisin ctx133 is od 278mm, so that is likely what you need.

only clutch showing on partsouq is exedy tdy120. never heard of that brand.

throwout bearing is available from Mr. T. 3123060130

Exedy clutches are excellent clutches, they are Japanese made clutches and it is what its included in the Terrain Tamer HD Clutch kits:

697.JPG
701.JPG
704.JPG

(I installed the HD kit on my HZJ70, albeit it was for the H55 flavor, but the brand was also Exedy).

Just found this cross reference for aisin clutch shows dt-133 clutch.

noticed at the bottom, this list of backwards compatable. Ran a couple numbers and a few of them are still available.

Kelly

From my experience with Venezuelan Land Cruisers, all 70-series came with a 275-mm flywheel where the 80-series (mostly due to weight) came with the 300-mm flywheels. The can be interchanged, to the point that most 70-series owners "upgrade" to the 300-mm clutches when running 38+ tire sizes.

Exedy clutches are excellent clutches, they are Japanese made clutches and it is what its included in the Terrain Tamer HD Clutch kits:

View attachment 2025058View attachment 2025059View attachment 2025060

(I installed the HD kit on my HZJ70, albeit it was for the H55 flavor, but the brand was also Exedy).

Ah...it's the guy who put the manual transmission bug in my head! :)

Exedy is a well known brand in Australia and other countries, even here in the USA for mostly Japanese cars. They have a USA website but can’t supply any Land Cruiser clutches. Exedy is Japanese quality.

You would have to get one overseas, I recommend Australia and to get the Safari Tuff clutch.

Cheers

Exedy is a well known brand in Australia and other countries, even here in the USA for mostly Japanese cars. They have a USA website but can’t supply any Land Cruiser clutches. Exedy is Japanese quality.

You would have to get one overseas, I recommend Australia and to get the Safari Tuff clutch.

Cheers

parts source?

Partsouq lists the Exedy disc as an 'alternative' to Toyota. Not sure if they do the same for the pressure plate.

Got about midway thru our cleanup on the front crossmember before the rains came......hopefully we can finish up tomorrow before they return. Some kind or tropical storm is brewing so the normal late day T-storms aren't so normal.

Nice to see it outside for once.

20190709_085936_HDR.jpg

Slow and steady wins the war....it's a shame that we had to move the crossmember and tear up the powdercoat on the frame....seems to be a really good job. Hopefully we can keep it localized so the patch/repair won't be too bad. Prime it with some etching primer, then apply some kind of epoxy paint...top coat with POR15 chassis black topcoat. Should

20190709_165223.jpg

I think we have decided to go a different direction with our front crossmember....going to fab up our own. Not sure if there is a benefit to running the square boxed 80 crossmember vs. a tubular one or not but I'm thinking a simpler one will suffice and get me the radiator clearance I need.

Stock crossmember mounting area cleaned up nicely.

20190710_111021.jpg

Gave it a quick bath to make sure the grinding dust was off....that stuff does a number on paint. This truck has pretty nice paint on it too.....way better than #1's.

20190710_111000.jpg

Had a change of heart.....the 80 series boxed crossmember is getting burned in right now.

20190711_082207.jpg
20190711_080900.jpg

It would have been a shame not to use a new OEM crossmember since you had it...

You and I think very much the same......

I feel like I can rest easy now.

Got the top plates done up and ready to weld....might sneak in tomorrow to weld them up so we can keep going on this thing. Hoping to have the motor/trans in next week so we can see what kind of things we'll be up against.

20190712_134018_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom