Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You would think LHD & RHD would be interchangeable.
image.jpeg

Wouldn't it be opposite? Are we talking about pedals? Or that dead pedal.....you DO know where the dead pedal is, right? 😂 😂
I think I'll just go back to my nap. :)

Well I'm glad you came to me for that info you needed earlier today. :D
I hang around with some very talented people but I myself am a mechanical dufus. I don't have a single part number memorized and even if I did I probably wouldn't know where said part went. :)
In my entire life I don't recall ever using the word iteration and I would need to Google it's meaning.
I was lucky enough to chose a career path that allows me the opportunity to buy thè occasional Land Cruiser. I depend on the smart guys to do the "heavy lifting".

Last edited:
I hang around with some very talented people but I myself am a mechanical dufus. I don't have a single part number memorized and even if I did I probably wouldn't know where said part went. :)
I was lucky enough to chose a career path that allows me the opportunity to buy thè occasional Land Cruiser. I depend on the smart guys to do the "heavy lifting".

Having 'heavy lifters' is a good thing!

Back on 79 today. We've been waiting on a few door parts to come in which arrived this week. The switch over to power windows is a little challenging.....buying it piece by piece at least and not being able to see the different doors to study them. There are still some mysteries.......the lower frame for the drivers side that I ordered isn't right still(this is the lower part of the track/window channel) but we made it work.

We need the harnesses in the doors so we can reassemble them. I have the 76 harnesses for the doors but since the 79 didn't have any power to the doors, there are no holes to run wires. So we'll pop the doors off, drill some holes in the body(ouch) and doors and run the harness.

First things first....we used 2 blank ports on the door harnesses to run speaker wires(no door speakers on 76 obviously....I am adding door speakers). We'll tap into the ports on the cab side of the harness and run to stereo. Just like OEM would be. I will run the door speakers in the door pods as rear speakers. So we'll have the dash speakers as 'front' and doors as 'rear'......just like in the #1 truck. Going to stick with the 6" JBL speakers too. They have a lot of sound to them.

New wires run thru the loom that we carefully disassembled:
20190724_172848.jpg

Passenger door looks like it will have red speaker wires
20190724_172901.jpg

All taped up and ready to go in.
20190724_174353.jpg

Last edited:
Brought out the 79 #1 for 'inspiration'. It didn't inspire today....we organized a stock room. With so many parts coming in for the various trucks, we had to get things organized.

Added a cool Quick Pitch changing room/shower tent on the side of the truck. Need to update that thread.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1bb00.jpg

Sure it's not a Land Rover in disguise, looking at the puddel behing the wheel??
Ha! I saw that. We love our AC in FL. Wait...we NEED our AC in FL!

Ha! I saw that. We love our AC in FL. Wait...we NEED our AC in FL!

No kidding. There are a few job openings throughout FL for me I was thinking of volunteering for (Homestead AFB, between Miami and the Keys was very tempting). Then I remember going to Tyndall AFB, walking outside at 5am and instantly being covered in dew and sweat. No thanks :D

No kidding. There are a few job openings throughout FL for me I was thinking of volunteering for (Homestead AFB, between Miami and the Keys was very tempting). Then I remember going to Tyndall AFB, walking outside at 5am and instantly being covered in dew and sweat. No thanks :D

Yeah but when it's 75 in January or February and you're out in a boat catching fish on some really beautiful water, it kind of makes up for the hell that is July, August and September down here*

*sometimes May, June and October too! Lol.

Drilled some big ol' holes in the body and the doors today. Harnesses fit like they were meant to fit. Almost all the clips line up to secure it in the kick panel area as well as in the doors.
20190726_140416.jpg
20190726_140634.jpg
20190726_172043.jpg

Kind of dig the mine truck look without doors....

20190726_135508.jpg
20190726_135520.jpg

Ferraris vs. Land Cruisers in shop today. Land Cruisers won....4 to 3.

20190726_154131.jpg

Are you putting anything on the bare metal in those holes to protect them from rust, or just relying on the rubber boots?

Are you putting anything on the bare metal in those holes to protect them from rust, or just relying on the rubber boots?

Any hole we drill in my shop gets paint on them. Usually 2 coats to make sure nothing is missed. I should have drilled these prior to coating the floors...could have sprayed some of the sound deadener in the hole....it's really tough stuff. Paint will be fine though. Haven't had any issues in 25 years of drilling holes in cars.

Sorry, way off topic but i just got back from a holiday in Italy which included Bologna so obviously the Ferrari musem. The only thing missing was a small quiet little room to be alone with you thoughts for a while, and a big box of tissues.View attachment 2041951
View attachment 2041952
View attachment 2041951
View attachment 2041955
View attachment 2041956
Cool pics! What a fun place to visit. In what seems like another lifetime, I worked at a Ferrari dealer as a tech for a 3 years. We would take these motors out of cars(3 year/15,000 mile engine out service) and it was always shocking how small they were when they were taken off the gearboxes and out of their subframes. Tiny. I believe the turbo motors in your pics are an F40 and a 208 Turbo. The F40 motor is a work of art.

Spent some seat time in an F40 at that job.....out of all the cars I've been fortunate enough to put the skinny pedal down in....nothing will come close to an F40. An insanely raw and pure car. Plenty of faster cars in the current group of super cars but nothing like an F40. I still can't believe they would let me drive those cars. Ha.

Did you receive a clutch and pressure plate yet? I ordered from PartsOUQ and did not get a pressure plate. If not, did you find an alternative source?

Did you receive a clutch and pressure plate yet? I ordered from PartsOUQ and did not get a pressure plate. If not, did you find an alternative source?

I got mine last week I think....but I just went with a 275mm disc with the larger spline center. Bought a throw out bearing and pilot bearing too. Not going to do the pressure plate I don't think....was mostly concerned about the splines lining up with the 151.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom