Lets all do our part for a new OHV park!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jfz80

Cruisin’
Threads
lt1fire posted some info on this as well in the upcoming events thread..... just wanted to make sure everyone saw this.

Here it is. The state is considering the construction of an OHV park in coordination w/ the Dept of Nat Resources to accomodate the need for a managed area for our sport. Lets show our interest in a grand manor by speaking up and letting our senators know we do care and are interested in seaking their support for the bill. Please help by sending an email; the following post contains a sample letter. Even if you do not live in NC you can pass your opion along becuase you could bring revenu to NC.

The following excerpt is taken from N.C. Senate Bill 45* which has been filed and is currently under consideration by the Senate Commerce Committee. It is up to YOU as to whether we get these two parks or not! If you do not send emails to your state Senators who are considering this bill it will be YOU who kept us from getting these parks!
GS 20-63.4. North Carolina Off-Road Vehicle Recreation Program
(a) There shall be created within the Department of Environment and Natural Resources a North Carolina Off-Road Vehicle Recreation Program to coordinate the planning, development, and management of public off-road vehicle recreation areas, parks, trails, and facilities.
(b) In consultation with the State land managing agencies, off-road vehicle organizations, the off-road vehicle industry, and environmental organizations, the North Carolina Off-Road Vehicle Recreation Program shall review the inventory of public lands to determine the feasibility of providing public access for off-road vehicle recreation and trails. The Department shall provide a report to the 2010 Regular Session of the 2009 General Assembly by March 1, 2010. The report should include at least two appropriate locations for public access for off-road vehicle recreational use and the applicable cost of providing each facility. The cost section of the report shall fully explain the fiscal approach of renovating, maintaining, and operating each site and include a recommended fee structure to support the ongoing maintenance and operation of the program. The report shall also include the benefits
and risks of offering each site for off-road vehicle recreational use.
email EVERY member of the Commerce Committee voicing your support for this bill. Tell them you would like for them to pass it with a modification to what constitutes an "off-highway vehicle". Your email should contain the following wording according to Carla Boucher, legal counsel for United Four Wheel Drive Assn and Southern Four Wheel Drive Assn, "Off-highway vehicle" or "OHV" means any off-road motorcycles, three or four-wheel all-terrain vehicles, four wheel drive motor vehicles intended by the user or owner to be used in recreational pursuits, or dune buggies. "
If we want this to pass and want full size off highway vehicles to be included in it we MUST act. Here is a list of the Commerce Committee members and email addresses. email EVERY one! If we snooze, we lose!
Senate Standing Committee - Commerce
Chairman - Sen. R.C. Sproles, Jr (Dem) -Tabor City, NC - Rcsoles@ncleg.net
Vice Chairman - Sen. David W. Hoyle (Dem) - Dallas, NC - Davidh@ncleg.net
Vice Chairman - Sen. Floyd B. McKissick (Dem) - Durham, NC - Floydm@ncleg.net
Vice Chairman - Sen. Tony Rand (Dem) - Fayetteville, NC - Tonyr@ncleg.net
Members
Sen. Tom Apodaca (Rep) - Hendersonville, NC - Toma@ncleg.net
Sen. Philip E. Berger (Rep) - Eden, NC - philbe@ncleg.net
Sen. Doug Berger (Dem) - Youngsville, N C - Dougb@ncleg.net
Sen. Harris Blake (Rep) - Pinehurst, NC - Harrisb@ncleg.net
Sen. Julia Boseman (Dem) - Wilmington, NC - Juliab@ncleg.net
Sen. Peter S. Brunstetter (Rep) - Lewisville, NC - Peterb@ncleg.net
Sen. Debbie A. Clary (Rep) - Shelby, NC - Debbie.Clary@ncleg.net
Sen. Katie G. Dorsette (Dem) - Greensboro, NC - Katied@ncleg.net
Sen. Tont Foriest (Dem) - Graham, NC - Tonyf@ncleg.net
Sen. James Forrester (Rep) - Stanley, NC - Jamesf@ncleg.net
Sen. Linda Garrou (Dem) - Winston-Salem, NC - Lindag@ncleg.net
Sen. W. Edward (Eddie) Goodall (Rep) - Matthews, NC - Eddieg@ncleg.net
Sen. Steve Goss (Dem) - Boone, NC - Steveg@ncleg.net
Sen. Malcom Graham (Dem) - Charlotte, NC - Malcolmg@ncleg.net
Sen. Neal Hunt (Rep) - Raleigh, NC - Nealh@ncleg.net
Sen. Jim Jacumin (Rep) - Connelly Springs. NC - Jimja@ncleg.net
Sen. Clark Jenkins (Dem) - Tarboro, NC - Clarkj@ncleg.net
Sen. Vernon Malone (Dem) - Raleigh, NC - Vernonm@ncleg.net
Sen. Martin L. Nesbitt (Dem) - Asheville, NC - martinn@ncleg.net
Sen. Willian R. Purcell (Dem) - Laurinburg, NC - Williamp@ncleg.net
Sen. Joe Sam Queen (Dem) - Waynesville, NC - JoeQ@ncleg.net
Sen. Bob Rucho (Rep) - Matthews, NC - Bob.Rucho@ncleg.net
Sen. Larry Shaw (Dem) - Fayetteville, NC - Larrys@ncleg.net
Sen. Josh Stein (Dem) - Raleigh, NC - Josh.Stein@ncleg.net
Sen. Richard Stevens (Rep) - Cary, NC - Richards@ncleg.net
Sen. Don Vaughn (Dem) - Greensboro, NC - Don.Vaughan@ncleg.net
Just sent an email to ALL of them. Below is their email addresses all together so that you can copy and paste them into your email.
Rcsoles@ncleg.net; Davidh@ncleg.net; Floydm@ncleg.net; Tonyr@ncleg.net; Toma@ncleg.net; philbe@ncleg.net; Dougb@ncleg.net; Harrisb@ncleg.net; Juliab@ncleg.net; Peterb@ncleg.net; Debbie.Clary@ncleg.net; Katied@ncleg.net; Tonyf@ncleg.net; Jamesf@ncleg.net; Lindag@ncleg.net; Eddieg@ncleg.net; Steveg@ncleg.net; Malcolmg@ncleg.net; Nealh@ncleg.net; Jimja@ncleg.net; Clarkj@ncleg.net; Vernonm@ncleg.net; martinn@ncleg.net; Williamp@ncleg.net; JoeQ@ncleg.net; Bob.Rucho@ncleg.net; Larrys@ncleg.net; Josh.Stein@ncleg.net; Richards@ncleg.net; Don.Vaughan@ncleg.net

Dear Senator,

I am writing this to all the Senators on the Commerce Committee, asking you to support Senate Bill 45*, which, according to The North Carolina General Assembly web site, is now under consideration by the Commerce Committee.

We have an odd happenstance here, in my opinion. At a time when national interest in preserving the environment is extremely strong, we also have a huge growth in Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) ownership and use. These two interests have continued to collide over the last couple of years as the swelling OHV usership seeks areas to enjoy their sport while environmental activists try to protect our natural resources and environment.

In this bill you have a unique opportunity to bring the two disparate groups together! Passage of this bill would be a forward step in providing OHV access in an environmentally sound environment. Creation of The OHV Trust Fund and implementation of the bill would allow our state to be on the forefront of a movement to provide environmental friendly, properly designed and managed OHV recreation areas for the citizens of North Carolina!

I also would like to urge you to amend the wording of the bill as it pertains to OHVs. All terrain vehicles (ATVs) and motorcycles are not the only users of OHV trails. Many full size, four wheel drive vehicles such as Jeeps are also used in an OHV manner as well as dune buggies, and with the proliferation of the sport, custom built chassis off road vehicles. I would like to add these OHVs to the bill by emending the wording to read; "Off-highway vehicle" or "OHV" means any off-road motorcycles, three or four-wheel all-terrain vehicles, four wheel drive motor vehicles intended by the user or owner to be used in recreational pursuits, custom chassis rock crawlers, or dune buggies. "

Thank you for your consideration of this bill which would be beneficial not only to the OHV community but while providing environmentally sound OHV recreation would also speak to North Carolina's forward thinking in environmental/recreation issues on a national level!

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
i did mine... got back about 6 response so far.

yup, ive gotten a few as well and most seem positive.

I just sent mine...

I wonder: is this state-level meaning on state lands only? Can they just say, you have Uwharrie, the trails at Brown Mountain, and the trails in the Mtns?

Sent mine yesterday. I got a couple responses as well. The only thing is i couldnt bear to see the word "Jeeps" in an email like that so I had to change it to "Toyota Land Cruisers"

I composed my own letter to the Senators and sent it today. I did not care for the example letter, and there were two elements I found missing - the obvious OHV definition is one so I added that. In addition, the sample letter does not mention federal RTP monies that could supplement this; I also emphasized enthusiast volunteer efforts to support these places; and I also suggested that these "parks" could bring additional dollars to local communities via recreation-based tourism.

Some people may not like it, but I also asked them to consider a provision that the "parks" could only be used by licensed, registered, insured OHV's (a la Uwharrie).

Yep I got responses from every one of those senators now from all 5 email accounts I sent it from :grinpimp:

I composed my own letter to the Senators and sent it today. I did not care for the example letter, and there were two elements I found missing - the obvious OHV definition is one so I added that. In addition, the sample letter does not mention federal RTP monies that could supplement this; I also emphasized enthusiast volunteer efforts to support these places; and I also suggested that these "parks" could bring additional dollars to local communities via recreation-based tourism.

Some people may not like it, but I also asked them to consider a provision that the "parks" could only be used by licensed, registered, insured OHV's (a la Uwharrie).

Sorry my letter wasnt good enough for ya JOE :p (j/k not mine anyways)

but what about our club members like R.K. or Eskimo whos rigs are trailered there and not liscensed ???

Jason, can you shoot me a message with an adress to sent it to?

Done and Thank you for the assitance with the email addresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom