LED Work Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shahram

I ain't got herpes no more.
Threads
I'm looking for a lantern or work light for illuminating a campsite. I've used gas lanterns, and I like them, but they're a pain in the ass to maintain/protect. D-cell and AA lanterns are okay, but tend to be bulky and go through batteries like crazy. I want a 12V or long-life battery operated work light or lantern that has very little draw and uses LED's so I don't have to change light bulbs, has a hook or something so I can hang it or mount it somewhere, isn't huge, and stands up to serious abuse.

Any ideas?

I got one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/9m7d9

to use as a shop light. Looked at the transformer one day and it said 12V DC. Hmmmm. I wonder...

Cut the transformer off and hooked it to the battery. Works great. I now have added plugs so I can change the cord to work off battery clips or the 110 V transformer. My Son Kevin hard wired his to his battery and stowed it under the hood of his 60. Polarity matters but switching it up does not seem to cause damage.

Mitch

Hope I dont hijack the thread too much. I'm looking for something similar.

Something I've always been interested in is a light I could mount to a rear bumper/spare tire carrier that would be on a telescoping pole. I want this so I can pull into a camp spot at night, extend the pole and be able to light up the area enough to comfortably set up camp. 12 volt, low draw.... anyone have any ideas?

Hey Archtimb, can you tell me the amperage listed on that light's transformer? I'm wondering just what the current draw is for that thing. Might be a nice camping light if the draw is low enough!

Lars - I was looking for the same deally, in a LED, but have not found one, yet. I popped for a Hella backup lite mounted on my rear tire swingout. Tapped into the backup light circuit in the rear quarter with a hot feed and relay. Putting the truck in reverse lights the stock backups and the Hella. The relay allows a switch in the rear quarter to light 'em up manually as needed. I will change out the Hella for a LED when someone makes one or I find one suitable. Got dual batteries so the current draw may be managable, but I go to bed early anyway! I'll let you know how it works out for camping next month.

Polar - I'll look for you later. I was using it yesterday under the dash and was quite surprised that it got warm. Now, it has been in the 90's here with 90 percent humidity, so perhaps I was sensitized to it, but both the 110V transformer and the light tube got noticably warm. Not as warm as an incandescent drop light, but warm none the less. I'm sure this relates in some way to the power use/loss. Heat = more power used.

Mitch

I bought a 12vdc fluor shop light from Bass Pro shops but can't seem to find it in their Internet site. I think it costs like $12 or so. I use this as a long term camp site light to augment the lantern. The two 55w lights mounted in the bumper eat up too much juice and are too bright. They're great for pulling up to a camp spot in the dark and get setup, then they're turned off and the shop light comes out. I need to come up with a pole to attach this thing to the spare tire somehow.....

Ali

The transformer on the LED light states:
12V DC 400Ma

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom