Leaky gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Walked out to the truck this morning and saw the dreaded pool of gas under the passenger side. Used a two part marine epoxy two years ago on some other pitting on the tank that has worked great. Went back to the same Marina, but all they had now was Marine Tex. I have used it for other stuff, but not on fuel tanks. Anybody got experience with it in this scenerio. Is it gonna hold up to the gas exposure for a another couple of years? Can't spend $200 right before Xmas, gotta go cheap. Any othe suggestions?

Eastman products offer a gas tank line. I don't have any experience with it, just saw it in their catalog a while back.I believe they have a web site too!

Nocents

OPPS its Eastwood.com that has the gas tank sealer

Nocents

Played that game but got tired of losing so I removed the tank, steamed it out at the car wash, and dryed it out for a couple days. I then pressure tested it at 3 PSI to pinpoint the leaks. A few of the leaks were easily welded by my mig with the tank filled with CO2/argon. There was an area on the bottom where the rust and pitting was so bad that it couldn't be welded. I fabricated an overlay or patch that would cover the entire affected area and welded it on in the same manner. When I reinstalled my tank I used a padding material that wouldn't hold moisture quite so readily in hopes that would help my tank last longer.

I've had good look with JB weld, as long as the tank is dry...... use some brake clean and a wire brush first, then let it cure 24 hrs.
Butch

Patched the tank last night with the epoxy, gonna try to leak/pressure test it today. One of the old sea capt's swore by this stuff, so we'll see. I'll post if it works, could be a cheap $12 fix. Thanks and merry xmas.

That's a damn good deal I would jump on it! I wouldn't play with fuel to much it's not worth it.

[quote author=needamod link=board=1;threadid=9080;start=msg79085#msg79085 date=1072115813]
I have a used tank in great shape. I don't know what it will cost to ship. I am in MN. $65 plus shipping. let me know
Brent
[/quote]

PM'd ya. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom