Leaking Fuel Sending Unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1981 BJ42 with 13B
After my first fill up, I noticed fuel leaking at the fuel sending unit on top of my fuel tank. I cleaned the surfaces of the tank and fuel sender (see pics dirty, cleaner, leaking still) and replaced the gasket with an OEM. Still leaking. I would prefer not to add a sealant with the gasket unless that is the way it came from Toyota. Any advice on fixing this would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this BJ42 (13B) engine so I am not sure if the fuel sender/other parts are OEM.
Thanks

12A40AB1-CB01-4EE3-A0C5-50511E18FFF2.jpeg

975FF309-C386-4D8D-9E2A-33E7BB78615A.jpeg

8FF58592-24BA-43C3-940D-5EDCE00E67F6.jpeg

I would be investigating why its leaking. If the gasket is OEM and the bolts are torqued to the specs, it shouldnt be leaking.

I figured it out. The OEM fuel sending unit appears to have holes that a equadistant from each other... at least from my eye. I didn't find out until pulling it out of the truck and putting liquid gasket on that one of the holes is not equidistant and that is why it leaked. I wondered why I was having trouble finding the last hole when I was putting the gasket on the sending unit and setting it on the fuel tank. They is a small indentation on the gasket and sending unit that need to match up so it is clocked correctly. It is that little indentation at 6:00 that needs to line up with a corresponding indentation on the gasket. If you do that, it will clock correctly and likely seal. Hope that helps.

IMG_6927.jpeg

All OEM sending unit screw patterns are pentagrams.

That sending unit is also not an OEM electrical setup; nor are the hardware placing it in location.

OEM sending units have Viton rubber seal that matches exactly the unit as well as the insert screw configuration.

Most likely aftermarket. Which is most likely fine as a replacement for most folks.

Probably need to change out the rubber seal.

Try 83361-20030.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom