leaking front hub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got gear oil leaking from both sides of my front wheel. Which seal(s) are failing and where are they?
Inner axle seals. You have to disassemble the knuckle almost completely to reach the seals. But if you’ve got oil mixing with the grease you probably should rebuild the whole knuckle while you’re at it. It’s messy and time consuming but it’s a right of passage to own a land cruiser.

Do a search on knuckle rebuilds. It’s been discussed a thousand times.

Also on tear down make sure this C clip is installed if its not buy new and install it. Without the clip the axle shaft can move and not allow the axle shafr to ride in the correct spotwith the inner axle seal. Thought i had a picture of the C clip installed it is right after taking the lock in hub cap off it has to be removed to get the lock in hub off.

20210820_212700.jpg

Also on tear down make sure this C clip is installed if its not buy new and install it. Without the clip the axle shaft can move and not allow the axle shafr to ride in the correct spotwith the inner axle seal. Thought i had a picture of the C clip installed it is right after taking the lock in hub cap off it has to be removed to get the lock in hub off.

View attachment 2772212
This reminds me... I need to order a new set for next time I go into the hubs. Mine have bent several times and I remember, now, being concerned about their integrity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom