Leak??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have this little oil leak, nothing major, but just enough to make me want to crawl under and see where it's coming from. After looking at it, the leak didn't look like it was coming from the pan but more the bellhousing area. I noticed there's an access cover on the bottom w/ a gasket, I think it's coming from there. I did a search and came up w/ that it might be the rear main leaking. I'm guessing this is probably the most likely cause, however I was wondering if you guys had any other thoughts. Also why is there a seal on the access cover? Is it there to hold oil that's leaking? I'm guessing if it is I shouldn't be too worried about the amount of oil that's coming out.

Thanks

Not on the oil or tranny drain plugs? Oil plug gasket is notorious.

Most likely rear main, but can also be from the valve cover running down the back of the motor. The seal is to keep goop out of your clutch, not oil in.

Oil pan plug is completly dry. No signs of oil leaking from there. It's leaking further aft.

might try tightening the bolts on your oil pan -- oil pan gasket could also potentially be the source of your leak and may need replacing.

try this first as replacing the rear main requires dropping the tranny & t-case which also means that it's a prime time to replace the clutch while you're in there. if it is the rear main, chances are good that the leaking oil has ruined (or is starting) to ruin the friction plate on the clutch.

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

dogboy2 said:
might try tightening the bolts on your oil pan -- oil pan gasket could also potentially be the source of your leak and may need replacing.

try this first as replacing the rear main requires dropping the tranny & t-case which also means that it's a prime time to replace the clutch while you're in there. if it is the rear main, chances are good that the leaking oil has ruined (or is starting) to ruin the friction plate on the clutch.

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Thanks dogboy-

What would be signs of the friction plate going bad? The clutch seems to be operating normal...actually really good. I'll try the oil pan bolts and see how they look.

I think that if you look for oil on the flywheel (side facing engine), that should tell you if your rear main seal is leaking. Dropping the tranny and t-case was easy. It's hammering that F*#$ing rear main seal without tearing it, that is the hard part.

I had oil leaking from the exact same spot and freaked out because I thought it was the rear main, but luckily it was only the oil pan bolts in the rear that were way loose....whew!

If it is the rear main leaking, what would happen if I let it go to long w/o replacing it.

PAFJ said:
If it is the rear main leaking, what would happen if I let it go to long w/o replacing it.

Just like with anything else it is inevitable that it will have to be replaced, but as long as your watching the dip stick and keeping up with the oil it should be OK. It just freaks me out because I hate leaks and it would bug me until I fixed it.

Bookseeb said:
Just like with anything else it is inevitable that it will have to be replaced, but as long as your watching the dip stick and keeping up with the oil it should be OK.
Right. A rear main could dribble a little for years before it really starts to gush. Just watch it.

Don't over-tighten the pan bolts - you could end up crushing the 20-something year old cork gasket and make things worse; the torque value on those bolts is like less than 10 ft-lbs, IIRC.

I WOULD ASSUME THAT THE PAN LEAKS AND FIX THAT FIRST. New gasket and retorque the pan bolts. If it still leaks, retorque the pan bolts, then you can throw money and time at it. Chances are very good it's the pan gasket.

Mine is fixed now, but they are prone to leak.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the flywheel sheilded the oil from the friction disc which means it could never get to that area and cause slippage from the main seal.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Toad

djawahir said:
I think that if you look for oil on the flywheel (side facing engine), that should tell you if your rear main seal is leaking. Dropping the tranny and t-case was easy. It's hammering that F*#$ing rear main seal without tearing it, that is the hard part.

I had the opposite experience! The main seal went in easily (hopefully I didnt rip it without knowing it) but stabbing the Tranny/TCase was a PITA (dropping it was actually easy, but NOT putting it back in)
Toad

Found the source of the leak, it's not from the engine......gear oil. Drop the access panel from bellhousing and noticed oil leaking from, most likely the front tranny seal and the front bearing retainer gasket.

Is this a pain in the arse or what? Do I need to drop the trans to replace the seals or can this be accomplished in place by removing the front bearing retainer?

To change the tranny front seal, the tranny has to come out. Don't worry about it until you need to do the clutch.

Unfortunatly, I think this has caused my shifting problems that I posted. While I was inspecting, looking for the leak, I noticed oil had made it's way into my clutch. I guess this will be my next project. I'll replace rear main, clutch, and tranny seals while I'm in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom