LC Buying Help, 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to purchase a used LC, model year 99 - 01 (price, miles dependant). I wanted an 80 series, but the wife has said no to that.

This vehicle will be used for family activities, minor off road use, and some major 4x4 to get to surf fishing locations on the gulf shore.

What items should I look for to avoid a costly mistake / maintance after the purchase? What are some common defects to look for on these vehicles?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Basic stuff, not specific to the 100:

1) Get a Mechnics inspection, well worth the $75-150

2) Get a CarFax to check for accidents (good mechanic will be able to id accidents also)

3) If it has the rear locker, does it work?

4) Service records? If the owner has them, and they are in a binder, it is a good sign. If there are no records, I assume that nothing has been done, since that is the worst case scenario.

Cary

If it is a '99, make sure it has rear ac and rear diff lock.

Also, check each body panel for a vin number sticker, if it is missing the vehicle has had that body panel replaced. If the dealer says the sticker is missing, that is bs because the vin is engraved in the metal under the sticker. The LC should have 11 vin stickers.

If over 80k miles, make sure the timing belt has been changed.

Only known issue, throttle position sensor. $260 to fix. It will leave you stranded. Symptoms, push on accelerator pedal and the truck does not go, very bad feeling. It just idles and you sit there.

Good luck.

I have had my 100 for 60,000 miles, no major problems. The windows tend to go up slower with age. Other than that, all around solid. Rear air is an option that you may want to look into getting, and as Cary said the rear locker is another option worth getting.

-Matt

We should put together a 100 series buyers guide. Is there one for the 80 series/lx450?

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks for all the suggestions. If anyone else has more comments, keep them coming as I'll be checking here until I find the one to buy.

-Cory

Andrew,

>> the vin is engraved in the metal under the sticker. <<

Is this true for our 80s or just the 100s?

-B-

I have been told by a couple of different sources, all Toyota's and all Lexi. It makes looking at used vehicles from a body stand point a breeze and helps with pricing. :D

Later,

uzj100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom