LC 200 with Reported Accidents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm looking at a moderately used LC 200 (~65k miles) with 2 accidents reported on the Carfax report. 1st accident was shown as minor, the 2nd accident gives no description of the severity or type. Vehicle already seems to be discounted somewhat compared to similar mileage LC's (probably to reflect the vehicle history). Not a salvage title, per Carfax.

My question: can a Toyota dealership plug into the ECU to confirm any details surrounding the accident (e.g. if airbags deployed, any major electronic failures)? I know that I could also take the vehicle to a 3rd party repair shop to look at the frame for obvious signs of damage, but I'd like to see what insights can be gleaned from the ECU.

I'll bet not. I'm just guessing, but it seems unlikely that information from an event data recorder can be accessed or decoded by a dealership easily, if at all. Especially well after the fact and after subsequent resets. The one thing that might help would be to look at service records on Toyota Owners website (with the VIN), to see what parts and repairs are reported there. A good repair shop could also look for repair/repaint areas on the vehicle. Don't buy it if you can't confirm condition/history, IMHO.

If Carfax shows an accident then it will also have a record of airbag deployment - Free Airbag Check (Deployments & Replacements) - http://www.carfax.com/airbag

Lookup is free, you just need the vin.

If the accident is documented in Carfax but they don’t have a record of airbag deployment then they didn’t deploy. Accident reports and insurance claims both record airbag deployments.

Even so, a dealer could likely easily determine if the airbags had been deployed and replaced by inspection.

I'll bet not. I'm just guessing, but it seems unlikely that information from an event data recorder can be accessed or decoded by a dealership easily, if at all. Especially well after the fact and after subsequent resets. The one thing that might help would be to look at service records on Toyota Owners website (with the VIN), to see what parts and repairs are reported there. A good repair shop could also look for repair/repaint areas on the vehicle. Don't buy it if you can't confirm condition/history, IMHO.
THanks for the suggestion on the VIN lookup - oddly enough, I don't see any mention of accident or damage repair in Toyota's records, though I do see that the prior customer has some concerns with vehicle sway (dealership looked into it but found nothing substantial).

Amazing that Toyota offers this level of detail on their website - other OEM's should take note!

Try your insurance rep.

When you are buying a "CPO" from a dealership (in the event that is the case here), isn't part of their "certifying" is proving a limited warranty and dumping all prior owner records (paper, service, etc)? Of course you'll have above referenced data but no prior owner work / damage history?

When you are buying a "CPO" from a dealership (in the event that is the case here), isn't part of their "certifying" is proving a limited warranty and dumping all prior owner records (paper, service, etc)? Of course you'll have above referenced data but no prior owner work / damage history?

I dont think a crashed truck can be CPOd…

I dont think a crashed truck can be CPOd…
I bought my 2013 in 2018 and it was CPO with 3 year full warranty extension and had minor accident (no structural or airbag deploy) reported on CarFax. I was offered a Platinum warranty option also so I’m thinking it doesn’t necessarily matter about an accident reported

I bought my 2013 in 2018 and it was CPO with 3 year full warranty extension and had minor accident (no structural or airbag deploy) reported on CarFax. I was offered a Platinum warranty option also so I’m thinking it doesn’t necessarily matter about an accident reported

Yeah, I believe it has to be minor and reconditioned. For anything major though, I don't think that anything is allowed such as replacing body panels, or structural items etc. At least that was some detail I remember from car care nut when he did a video on the subject. Parts I believe can be replaced, but not panels.
But again I'm not sure. I do know the standards are high though, so it should be no worry.

Should be, because I know for a fact my truck was not CPOd at all. And the advisor who went through my awful purchase experience with me, told me such when he was on his last day... They will be looked over, paint corrected, interior detail and new tires. Thats about it.

Yeah, I believe it has to be minor and reconditioned. For anything major though, I don't think that anything is allowed such as replacing body panels, or structural items etc. At least that was some detail I remember from car care nut when he did a video on the subject. Parts I believe can be replaced, but not panels.
But again I'm not sure. I do know the standards are high though, so it should be no worry.

Should be, because I know for a fact my truck was not CPOd at all. And the advisor who went through my awful purchase experience with me, told me such when he was on his last day... They will be looked over, paint corrected, interior detail and new tires. Thats about it.
The "inside man" on his last day can be quite the wealth of information if you are able to leverage his DGAF attitude.

I think the CPU could only be further decoded at the Toyota level, I have only seen it done by various manufacturers due to litigation etc. It is a much more complicated process typically requiring the removal and send off of the various computers where they far more complex systems than what the dealerships .

Try pulling both CarFax and AutoCheck, there are occassions where one offers additional information, likely depending on who they use for reporting. However, they are both only going to able to access what data/ detail was entered in accident reports, Repair Orders, etc. Point being, the individual (Police Officer, Advisor, etc.) has the subjective opportunity to be brief or detailed and that is what is picked up by reporting.

If at a Toyota dealership, I would have them verify if panels have been replaced through an inspection. Replaced bumper covers aren’t as big of an issue as say a rear quarter panel or roof panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom