Laying on the driveway, Name that plug! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This was laying in my driveway! Has some heat shield on a white wire. It was obviously next to the exhaust. I’m thinking it’s something for the carb fan? I did the carb fan jumper a while ago because it stopped working.

F6248931-332E-4ED8-9F91-E501A7E3B1C2.jpeg

You nailed it, that’s the connector for the carb fan thermo sensor. The sensor is normally mounted under the intake on the firewall side of the engine. Sounds like you have that wire grounded instead of connected?
Yeah I read on her to bypass that switch. Then it will just be on after the key is off for a certain time. Maybe I should try to hook it back up. the carb fan is working

Yeah I read on her to bypass that switch. Then it will just be on after the key is off for a certain time. Maybe I should try to hook it back up. the carb fan is working

I knew what this was because hooking that thermosensor back up is on my short list of things to do. :) I had my carb fan grounded but it killed my battery (I was replacing bulbs so turning ignition on and off a lot to test) so it’s just disconnected for now.

Mine still shuts off after the time that it needs but it’s not temp specific

So, years after my desmog, I was having hot-start problems (because no carb fan functionality), and then I found the emissions computer (and some chime, if I'm remembering correctly? It was 2018...) corroding away to schmoo in that passenger side kick panel because of a water leak, so I ended up reengineering the carb fan setup with really good results.

Here's the basic cookbook:

1.) Get a generic 180 degree 1-wire temperature sender that's grounded to its threads.
2.) Drill and tap a hole in the webbing of the intake casting near the carb for the sender to screw into, since that's what's trying to boil the gas in your carb. I played a lot with an IR thermometer on a hot engine to pick a good spot, and still ended up needing to make a second one.
3.) Sender makes a circuit for the signal side of a waterproof relay; the output side goes to the +12v for the carb fan.

It runs for as much as 15-20 mins after a long drive in hot weather, and hot starts still aren't perfect, but boy did it help...

Does anyone have the part number or info on remaking the wire to the carb fan sensor? I've got a sensor and a dangling loose wire (no plug or anything) and would like to connect the two as OEM as possible.

Use oven wire (ebay or mcmaster carr)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom