Last few pics before Lift & Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I thought I would post up my last couple of pics before my new TLC gets picked up for the OME lift and Toyo AT II tires. I picked her up a week ago, so I didn't wait too long to get started.

I will eventually be adding with a safari style roof rack with a light bar, front & rear bumpers, and sliders. We will see where we go from there. Does anyone have a roof mounted spare? Too much weight too high? I will post pics on Wed or Thurs after I get the lift and tires on.

B75D9600-9C71-4111-81EB-0661ECF07306_1.jpg

image.jpg

Does anyone have a roof mounted spare?

Some like the way it looks...it will MURDER gas mileage and the spare is a bear to retrieve if needed. (unless you roll it off and let it fall)

I kinda want to put my spare on the roof. When you say "MURDER" how much worse can it be than 10mpg?

I've also been curious about the roof mounted spare. Not sure how it would effect(affect?) body roll going around around corners.

I've got a bunch of weight on the roof with the RTT (and blankets, sleeping bags) plus a camping table, etc. and don't usually notice it except in more extreme corners...where I should probably remember I'm driving a heavy SUV rather than a car anyway. My bigger issue would be trying get the spare up there, or down in less than ideal circumstances. This is especially true with steel wheels and E-rated tires if that is a factor. My gas mileage was murdered long ago.

Some have concerns with swing outs, but if you're already set on adding a rear bumper, I'd put the spare there and save the roof for the many other, lighter things to get out of the truck. Or, just leave the spare where it is now.

I kinda want to put my spare on the roof. When you say "MURDER" how much worse can it be than 10mpg?

Yours is already dead at 10! My experience (1997 80 Series) is another 1 MPG on average lost to the up top spare. Admittedly, I had mine up there for one 400 mile highway trip after a blow-out and not wanting to put the shredded tire back underneath. I lost 3mpg during that trip...slight headwind that was magnified by the extra drag of the tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom