LANDTANK fan clutch for S/C 1FZ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One would be enough interest, provided the machining costs are covered.

I have one and if I ever needed another I would gladly cover that expense for a one-off.

Last edited:
@Tools R Us - Read that thread a number of times. What was the long term consensus of the spacer method? No harm? Ideally I would like to go with the modified orange clutch but this is my second option. The winter is coming so I am not concerned about overheating with the supercharger once installed.

The most important details regarding the spacing method are that whatever you use is perfectly parallel and the hub is centered.

I know Kevin can make that sort of thing out of whatever he has under the bench. :)

That would require buying a water pump, or removing the old pump to do it. This adds to the cost of the job. In addition machining a used pump and reusing it would be like taking a shower and then putting your dirty shorts back on.

Would there be a negative effect of machining the water pump instead of the orange clutch? It might be easier to do. Thoughts?

Any answers to these types of questions are irrelevant because nobody knows the the ability of the machine shop you would be using.

To get those answers buy a fan clutch and water pump and take them to several machine shops and see what they say. Because at the end of the day it's one of those shops that you will be using to do the work.

To machine the clutch requires some precision. The bore needs to be concentric and accurate.
Let's not use the word "machine" for the water pump approach. Instead lets chop off the knob that does not fit into the orange clutch. How would that effect the operation? It would be more difficult to center since now I would only be using the fasteners to align? Is the knob solid or hollow inside? Trying to think outside the box here to understand better.

@cruiserdan - what if your shorts only had 1,000k miles on them?

I considered everything that you have suggested and a few more. I chose to do what I did

Thinking out side the box is great but at some point you have to start implementing those thoughts which in this case means damaging what are otherwise perfectly good parts in the hopes you achieve the desired outcome.

Following others advice will pretty much lead you to the same conclusions as already presented. To develop a new solution it’s required that you ignore those ideas and the associated advice and do your own thing.

Has anyone had any issues with the fan blades hitting on the smooth idler pulley after installing this modified clutch? I put mine on a few weeks ago after swapping out a blue unit with the spacer. With everything snugged in place I noticed that the blades contact the pulley. It appears I have the standard 1fz fan (not ringed or with the risers on the blades)

I skimmed but didn't seem to see anything out there about it. Posted a message to wits end via their contact us page on the site but hadn't heard anything back so I figure this is my next step.

Mine's been on there for a few days shy of 5 years (my how time flies). As of my drive to the museum this morning I have had zero fitment or performance issues.

No issues with mine. Post up some photos of what you are dealing with.
Wits' End has been busy lately. Joey will get back to you. He is always on top of his customers.
@NLXTACY

don’t oversell my customer service. There are a handful that I’m sure heavily disagree with that statement 😜

Yes, I need photos. Need to see which fan you are using, the hub mounting flange at the water pump, and where the fan contacts the pulley. Admittedly, this will be a first so we can all learn together 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom