Ladder for Roof TOp Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently purchased an Alu-Cab RTT and haven't been able to use it as the ladder is too short. I need at least a 1' long (8 feet +) extension and the Alu-Cab extensions are back ordered with a 10 week eta. Does anyone recommend a 3rd party telescoping ladder? I have seen tele-steps on line but they're really costly. Thanks
20190819_102305-L.jpg

Had the same issue with mine. With my lifting, larger tires, and taller Prinsu rack, it made the alucab ladder too short. I ended up buying the Wolfwise brand 10.5 foot extendable ladder off of Amazon. I'm pretty convinced that about all of those ext ladders are all the same, just sold by different companies as it came in a non-descript box with no company name on it. Anyway, it has worked well. I removed the bracket off the top of the Alucab ladder and installed it on the top of the extendable ladder with longer M8 bolts and large washers. I'm about 230 lbs and it holds me just fine. I wasn't a fan of having to keep the alucab ladder in the rtt, so for me, I like the extendable better. The only downside I have found is that the steps are not at an angle like the alucab ladder. So when extended and attached to the rtt, the top of the steps are pointed at the top of the ladder, not straight up at the sky like the alucab ladder, if you can understand what I'm trying to describe. It makes it slightly less comfortable to climb up and down, but not too bad. The ability to fold it down and put it in the truck much outweighs that one downside for me.

IMG_20190820_190155275_HDR.jpg

Did you find a ladder? Or maybe someone else won't mind chiming in on an old thread.
I too am looking for a different telescoping ladder. I just bought a used ARB Simpson III from a fellow mudder (cant remember his tag) and I can't wait to use it. I bought a low profile rack for the back of my Tacoma and have found that the ladder for this RTT has only 1 locking setting at full extension. I have thought to set the ladder up to the height i need, mark it up and drill a hole, which should work but I thought to reach out.

Thanks

full

Did you find a ladder? Or maybe someone else won't mind chiming in on an old thread.
I too am looking for a different telescoping ladder. I just bought a used ARB Simpson III from a fellow mudder (cant remember his tag) and I can't wait to use it. I bought a low profile rack for the back of my Tacoma and have found that the ladder for this RTT has only 1 locking setting at full extension. I have thought to set the ladder up to the height i need, mark it up and drill a hole, which should work but I thought to reach out.

Thanks

full
When they're new, the instructions tell you to set the height, mark and drill a hole, so that's the proper idea that you already had. Some guys make multiple marks if they move the tent to different vehicles too.

The only downside I have found is that the steps are not at an angle like the alucab ladder. So when extended and attached to the rtt, the top of the steps are pointed at the top of the ladder, not straight up at the sky like the alucab ladder, if you can understand what I'm trying to describe. It makes it slightly less comfortable to climb up and down, but not too bad.
I've found that to be the case with most cheap RTT's, lack of attention to the details. The ARB RTT always had angled ladder rungs so that they're comfortable under foot when climbing at an angle, and I haven't seen an extendable ladder that had them adjusted. Even if they were just round tubes or perhaps a bigger diameter then it would be ok, but with perpendicular ladder rungs to the ladder, it just sucks and doesn't feel right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom