L Engine-Negative Battery Cable Connection Location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Putting my 1983 LN40 Diesel L engine back together. Didn't document the driver's side battery negative cable connection location. I think it might have been connected to one of the injection pump bolts, but I really don't like that idea. The the length of the cable doesn't give a whole lot of options. I see a bolt on the fender sidewall nearby that is not used, but it looks like it has not been used for a while, if ever. Paint is untouched around it. The passenger side battery negative cable grounds directly to the engine block.

Any suggestions? I cannot find it anywhere in my engine manual, repair manual, or period Clymer.

539475D9-419D-4821-B386-0F5258AD1393.jpeg

Interestingly enough, this image shows the end having its own bolt, which then excludes the injection pump location. And it shows the direction pointing outward. Outward would mean it attaches to the fender, me thinks.

Ended up using the bolt on the fender wall. Seemed like that was what it was there for. Cleaned it and brought it to bare metal and it fit perfectly.
F3B2654D-8C95-457F-AA9B-3709104651AF.jpeg
AAB83182-D43E-4C7A-A369-E399079DC4C2.jpeg

I don't know about your application, but most of the diesel LandCruisers I've had ground that cable to the frame. Would probably be worth checking to see if the cable is long enough and if there's a threaded hole nearby.

I don't know about your application, but most of the diesel LandCruisers I've had ground that cable to the frame. Would probably be worth checking to see if the cable is long enough and if there's a threaded hole nearby.
Cable is not long enough, and there is no threaded hole on the frame nearby. This truck has two batteries. The passenger side/left side has the negative cable going to the engine block. This spot for the driver's side seems correct. Right length of the cable, correct orientation according to the parts diagram, correct size of bolt, threaded nut welded to the backside, and it was just literally sitting there unused with the bolt in place and not tightened down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom